- Famous For: Architecture, Meditation, Photography, Learning and Tourism.
- Entrance Fee: The entry is free. Also, there is no charge in attending a course but you will need to apply for the course online.
- Visiting Time: 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Visit Duration: Visit duration is subjective. If you are touring the place, it might take an hour. If you are attending a course, it may take 3 or 7 days, depending on the course duration.
One of Mumbai’s unique attractions is the Global Vipassana Pagoda. This monument is a tribute to the philosophies of Lord Gautama Budda and draws in thousands of visitors annually. The Global Vippassana Pagoda is considered as a landmark of peace and the abode of tranquility.
- Do not engage in noisy chatter when inside the monument complex.
- Photography is permitted. So, carry your camera with you.
Things to Do
- Photographers and architects cannot but stop admiring the beauty of this monument. Learn about the structure of this monument from the officials and do not forget to take your clicks here. The monument is super tall and its tower stands proud with the Arabian waters as its backdrop.
- Learn about the teachings of Gautama Buddha and Vipassana, by utilizing the sources in the library and museum, situated in the monument complex.
- Take part in at least one course offered at the meditation centre here. One-day courses are open for those who cannot free up much time. The Dhammapattana centre in the complex, offers 10-day courses free of cost. So, if you’re having a long vacation, do not miss out on this. You can stay the entire period, within the complex in the rooms located at the centre.
Availability of Guide
Volunteers and staff are available for assistance of visitors and tourists.
Best Time to Visit
One can visit the Global Vipassana Pagoda anytime of the year.
How to Reach
Mumbai is well connected to all the prominent cities of India, by road, rail and air. The Chatrapati Shivaji airport connects Mumbai to cities like Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Hyderabad. From the airport, one can take a taxi/bus/train to reach Gorai, where the monument is located. Mumbai is the hub of railway services and several trains connect Mumbai to the rest of India. If you prefer travelling by bus, again the city of Mumbai is thoroughly linked by roads to other Indian cities. To reach the Global Vipasana Pagoda, one can take an auto rickshaw, cab, or local bus/train. If you get down at Esselworld or Gorai Creek, you can make use of the ferry service to reach the Global Vipassana Pagoda.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Global Vipassana Pagoda
- The Global Vipassana Pagoda resembles Myanmar’s Golden Pakoda in structure.
- This monument was opened by former President of India, Pratibha Patil, in 2009. The Global Vippasana Pagoda is the fruit of S.N.Goenka’s ideas.
- The purpose of this place is to spread the knowledge about Vipassana.
- The Global Vipassana Pagoda is one of the tallest stone structures in the world.
- Original bone relics of Gautama Buddha are enshrined here.
- The Global Vipassana Pagoda is a hollow stone structure, having 3 stories. The entire monument is painted with glimmering Thai gold paint, on the outside.
- This monument is the largest pillar-less dome in the world. Around eight thousand people can meditate at any given instant, within the monument.
- A 4,000 kg Dhamma wheel is suspended at a height of ninety feet within the monument.
- To the north and south of the main pagoda, stand two other smaller pagodas which are 60 feet high each. The pagoda on the north has a huge hall for teaching meditation to the public, whereas the pagoda on the south, houses one hundred and eight cells dedicated to meditation.
- The monument also hosts a magnificent Ashok pillar.
- A centre called ‘Dhammapattana’ is located in the complex, where many student courses are conducted every week. The complex also has a research centre, an audio-visual room, a gallery and several air-conditioned rooms.
- Gorai Beach
- Water Kingdom
- Vardhman Fantasy
- ISKCON Temple
- The Sanjai Gandhi National Park
- Kanheri Caves
- Vasai Fort
- Madh Fort
- Shiver Garden Lake
- Gaothan Restaurant
- Tight House
- Aura Restaurant
- Noor Biryani
- The Veg Treat
- Hotel Apala Samadhan
- Dakshin Coastal Restaurant
- Gossip Fine Dine
- Domino’s Pizza
The Golden Vipassana Pagoda is the right spot for those seeking to gain knowledge on Vipassana. The monument’s architecture is so splendid that photographers cannot stop their fetish. Make your trip to Mumbai, more peaceful, by stopping to check in this architectural marvel.