- Famous For: Wildlife, adventure, nature and safaris, photography
- Entrance Fee: Rs 36
- Visiting Time: 7:30 AM to 6:30pm
- Visiting Duration: 3 hours
The USP of this park is that, this is not only a park. With beautifully enriched wildlife ecosystem, natural park, scenic beauty and a range of other activities, Sanjay Gandhi National Park is the best getaway destination for a day for people living in and around Mumbai.
- The park remains closed on Mondays.
- The entry fee of safaris is set at a minimal rate of Rs 61 and the ride is of almost 30 minutes.
- There are bus journeys available to Kanheri caves and that must be visited once you are here.
- There are limits on the speed which one can keep. Not abiding by the rules may leave you with an empty pocket.
Things to Do
- Take the boat ride which would be very amazing and pleasant. You may see some different and irregular species of animals.
- Visit the Kanheri Caves. It is really mandatory to visit the caves. There are buses which ply to the caves at the rate of Rs 5 per head.
- Avail a safari for yourself and enjoy the enriching experience of witnessing the wildlife in its pristine and altered form.
Best Time to Visit
The summers are never a good season to experience wildlife because for most of the time they hide under their shelters to protect themselves from the heat.
The monsoon sees a good rise in the visibility of the creatures. Along with that, this is the time when birds make their nest and are highly visible.
Winters again see a downfall in the visibility as the creatures most probably hibernate.
How to Reach
To reach the park. You can take the train which goes to Borivali station. After reaching the station, you can easily avail an auto which would drop you at the park. The distance of the park from this railway station is mere 0.9km.
No bus goes directly to this park however, you make get government run buses but they ply only on holidays and weekends.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Before independence, this park was called Krishnagiri National Park.
- It was only in 1981, that this park was named Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
- The kanheri caves which are in the park are 2400 years old.
- Approximately 2 million visitors pay visit here annually.
- Wagheshwari temple
- Gorai beach
- Essel world
- Water kingdom
- Iskon temple
- Shree ayyapa Vishnu temple
- Aksa beach
- The malwan
- Club 9
- Vikram chat house
- Gokul veg restaurant
- Sunny multi cuisine
- Sanjana sandwich corner
- Green veg restaurant
- Hotel rajmahal restaurant
The vividly beautiful park is at a height of 400m. The view is surreal and highly hypnotic. It is a true haven for the nature and fun lovers. The great variety of flora and fauna in this park makes it worth spending your time here. Soothe your eyes as well your soul, this natural beauty is not to be left.