- Famous For: Serenity, Scenery, Nature
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee for this public place
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The breathtaking location of Catherine Falls is present at Coonoor in the state of Tamil Nadu. Located in the Nilgiris district, this is another great nature spot to visit and spend time at, due to the amazing view of the area. The double cascaded falls, situated within lush greenery, offer the perfect spot to picnic and have a great time unwinding from the monotony of daily routine. In addition, the pure mountain air and the sound of water striking the ground provide a calm and serene setting to spend time within the arms of nature. The falls, which totally measure about 250 feet in height, is one of the most majestic waterfalls that visitors can set their eyes upon within the country. All this makes the Catherine Falls a favorite amongst tourists visiting the region and for adventure enthusiasts to wander around.
- In the summer season, the water level of the falls can be reduced.
- There are no shops nearby, so food and water is advised to be carried by visitors themselves.
- Trekking within the forest area has to be done after getting prior permission from the local forest officer.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the view of the greenery and the total length of the majestic waterfalls from the Dolphin Nose viewpoint.
- Trekking is another activity which is carried out by adventure spirited people through the nearby forest area in Longwood Shola.
- Sometimes, wild animals like bears can be sighted around the area.
- Photograph the soul stirring locations within the region which provide the perfect photogenic backdrop to click around in.
- A road trip can be taken upto the top of the hills.
- If planning on spending more time within this stupendous spot, book one of the cottages at Catherine Greens and have a great night there.
- Enjoy the ride towards the fall which has got estates of tea as well as pine trees spread on as far as the eye can see.
Availability of Guides
Since this is just a picnic spot where visitors come to enjoy the scenic beauty, there is no need for guides and they aren’t available around for this spot.
Best Time to Visit
The Catherine Falls is a location which can be visited throughout the year. However, the best time to completely enjoy the visit would be after the monsoon season which experiences good rainfall in the region and fills up these waterfalls to give a good level of water flowing downwards. This would basically cover the months from October to May, after which the heat of the summer can reduce the water in the falls. The early morning mist makes it perfect to visit in the morning or even afternoons, as by evening the area is restricted.
How to Reach
The falls are located in Kotagiri within the circle of the Coonor region. The closest airport to this region is the Coimbatore International Airport which is present at about 54 kilometers away. It has got its own railway station which is part of the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, and a bus station which are both well connected to most of the main cities. Private vehicles and cabs can be used to reach the spot. After reaching the main road leading to the waterfall, a trek has to be undertaken for about one kilometer to reach the viewpoint from where the falls will be visible.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Catherine Falls
- The local name of the Catherine falls is Geddhehaada Halla.
- It has been named after the wife of the person believed to be behind the introduction of coffee plantations in the region, M.D.Cockburn.
- The upper falls of the double cascaded falls, is the second highest one in the Nilgiris.
- The water comes from the Kalle river which is cut off by mountains.
- Coonor is the second highest hill station in the state.
- The Nilgiris district is widely famous for its tea.
- Earl’s Secret
- The Garden Café
- Wiley’s Coffee Pub
- Ponmari Multicuisine Restaurant
- Sim’s Park
- Upper Bhavani Lake
- Government Botanical Park
- Thread Garden
The picturesque location, coupled with very few people visiting this lesser known spot, makes it perfect to spend some time in tranquility. The various plantations and wildlife around the forest area, make the visit quite rewarding for nature enthusiasts and adventure lovers, who would love to explore in and around the spot.