- Famous for: Religion, natural beauty, experience.
- Entrance fee: No fees required.
- Visiting time: 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM everyday.
- Visit duration: Around 1-2 hours.
Pavan Dham in Haridwar, Uttarakhand, India is an architectural, humanitarian and religious marvel. It is an ancient temple, one of the oldest in India. It is part of a non-profit organisation that believes in rendering free service to significant social causes and takes in outsider contributions and requests at times. The primary facet contributing to its beauty is the striking architecture and the idols of gods and goddesses inside. There is artwork in a variety of designs and in a variety of materials as well. This is a holy place, and also lies close to the principal worship site of Haridwar, Har Ki Pauri. A trip to this place does a lot of good to your health as well as it is located in very non-polluted and tranquil environment.
- Pets are not allowed inside, so it is wise not to bring them along.
- Photography and filming is unrestricted, so make the best use of that facility.
- It is best to visit the temple while daylight is still there.
- There are shops exclusively for souvenirs, make it a point to pay visits to them.
Things to Do
- You can visit the very famous nearby tourist attractions of Haridwar like Har ki Pauri, Mansa Devi and Chandi Devi temples.
- You can go trekking in the surrounding hills.
- You can enjoy the exhilarating experience of ropeway rides which are available at some select tourist spots.
- You can enrol in the famous yoga classes this place gives out and make your life healthier.
Availability of Guides
Guides are available in various forms, some can be pre-booked, some hired on the spot, some taken along with you and lastly, locals who can be approached impromptu. Either way, make sure you do have a guide handy otherwise you’ll miss out on a lot on your tour. And also, check to ensure she/he speaks a language you are familiar with.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Haridwar is most of the year, as it remains largely pleasant all the time. It is not unbearably hot in summer or chillingly cold in winter. But the best time from the rest would definitely be around May-June and August to October. Also, peak winter around December and January is equally mesmerising.
How to Reach
The closest airport to the temple is the Jolly Grant airport of Dehra. The nearest railway station is the Haridwar railway station. There are also buses that convey people to and fro from places like Delhi. Once you arrive, you have to hire conveyance like taxis separately to ferry you to the temple.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Pawan Dham, Haridwar
- There is a lot of opulent material stored inside the temple, from jewellery to statues.
- The statues have exquisite architecture, some even in glass.
- The temple lies only 3 kms away from Har ki Pauri which holds beautiful light shows.
- It is a popular pilgrimage location.
- There is a facility for horse carriage riding as well.
- The Har ki Pauri ghat, or riverbank, which holds light shows every evening through candle and incense stick lights for religious purposes.
- The Chandi Mata Temple.
- The Maya Devi temple.
- The Mansa Devi temple, all of which are part of the Shakti Peetha triangle.
- The Hoshiyar Puri, selling quality indigenous food like puri, made of softened flour and salt.
- The Invitation Restaurant, which has spacious well lit interiors and a feel-good ambience.
- The Aura Restaurant, popular among the locals.
Pawan Dham, Haridwar is a mixed bag of good things. It has something in store for the religious, beauty enthusiast, art geek and the social service volunteer and fitness freak, all into the bargain. So next time you’re confused about where to go, you’ll know where you should be headed.