- Famous For: History, Reverence, Faith
- Entrance Fee: No entrance fee for this holy spot
- Visit Timings: Open at all times
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
Har Ki Pauri is an extremely revered Ghat present at the pious location of Haridwar in the state of Uttarakhand. Har ki Pauri basically means Lord Shiva’s steps. The spot is cherished as it is mentioned in the Vedas to have been visited by both Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu during the olden ages. The prime attraction in this location is a footprint imprinted on a wall which is believed to belong to Lord Vishnu. People flock around from every nook of the nation to witness the highly devotional Ganga Aarti, a puja of splendor performed with great reverence at the spot. Devotees also believe that dipping in the sacred Ganges will get rid of their wrongdoings and hence perform the duty at this revered spot. The shimmering water in the evening is a mesmerizing sight to watch with beautiful lamps which float on the surface of the water giving off an ethereal aura of beauty.
- To dip into the water without any disturbance visit in the early hours of dawn.
- There are changing rooms available along with lockers to lock up personal belongings.
- Make sure to be careful near the steps as they can be quite slippery due to the water dripping off.
Things to Do
- Visit the holy site and take a dip in the holy water of the Ganga.
- Experience a whole new level of holiness at the Ganga puja conducted every day by the local priests.
- Buy the golden lamps and let them float into the holy water with hopes of having your wishes come true.
- Enjoy the beautiful view as the light of the lamps reflect off in the water and create a spectacular aura.
- Photograph the devotional spirit of the place and the essence of holiness in it.
- Visit the multitude of nearby temples which are present around for its beautiful architecture.
- Try out the plethora of local eateries which are available to get a taste of the local cuisines.
Availability of Guides
There are a lot of guides available around but there are also a lot of people looking to just make money out of the tourists who are visiting the place. Hence, be careful while looking for guides and hire from reputed sources.
Best Time to Visit
The idolized location is a place which can be visited all around the year. During the summer, the days are quite hot while the nights are cooler. The rest of the year has a mild and breezy climate to it. The best time to visit the place is the evening when the cool breeze has a calming effect on everyone.
How to Reach
As Har ki Pauri is situated right at the center of Haridwar, and is the prime attraction for devotional tourists, there are plenty of transport options available like buses, auto rickshaws and cabs to the spot. Haridwar can be visited by the getting down at the Haridwar railway station while the Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the closest airport to reach the city by air.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Har ki Pauri
- This is said to have been constructed by King Vikramaditya way back during the 1st
- The Har ki Pauri has an extremely revered spot called the Brahmakund where the Ganga puja is carried out by the local priests.
- The Brahmakund is the name of the spot where the sacred nectar is believed to have fallen off the back of Garuda, the vehicle of Vishnu, who was transporting it.
- Haridwar is one of the four places where the nectar is believed to have fallen, and hence is one of the places where the Kumbh Mela is celebrated.
- This is the divine spot where the Ardh Kumbh Mela and also the festival of Vaisakhi is celebrated with great grandeur.
- There have been many extensions of the ghat over various periods of time to accommodate the large crowds which gather for spiritual worship.
- Mansa Devi Mandir
- Ganesh Ghat
- Mercury Temple
- Udan Khatola
- Dosa Plaza
- Big Ben Restaurant
- Fun n Food
- Hoshiyar Puri
The divine and holy spot of Har ki Pauri is one of the most well-maintained and famous place for religious devotees to visit. With an amazing aura of holiness which is spread throughout the city, this is a must visit in Haridwar for every travel junkie.