- Famous For: History, Photography, Nature, Adventure.
- Entry Fee: No fee is required.
- Visiting Time: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. preferably
- Visiting Duration: 1 to 2 hours
Nainital, known after its serene lake, is a peaceful place of abode. This place is surrounded by the majestic Himalayas on all sides that protect this place of respite from the invasion of both natural and human invasions. Inspired by the beauty of Nainital and drawn towards the rich flora and fauna of the environment dotting the peaceful hill station, Jim Corbett was automatically compelled to spend a major part of his stay in India at Nainital. Roaming among the rich deodar and fir, ruffling his hands through the red rhododendrons growing in his garden and nurturing hundreds of varieties of plantation species had become the hobby of this legendary man during his stay at Nainital. Thus, he bought the Gurney House, which had served as the summer abode of Jim Corbett in Nainital, and, is now an important and a much-loved place of attraction when it comes to tourism.
- Remember to take along with you a filled bottle of water as you will surely feel thirsty after a long walk.
- Take multiple photographs of the legendary house and the gorgeous garden.
Things to Do There
- Explore the lived-in abode of Jim Corbett.
- Visit the private museum there to learn about his life and his achievements.
- Study the wide variety of trees and plants that are present within the premises of his once summer abode.
Availability of Guides
You will not come across a professional guide there. However, the caretaker of the Gurney House is very helpful and will eagerly guide you around the place.
Best Time to Visit
You can visit the Gurney House any time of the year as per your convenience. No matter which season you visit the place in, this place will transport you to a world of enchantment as always.
How to Reach the Place
It is 10-minute walk away from the Naini Retreat that can be reached easily by hiring a cab. For greater adventure, one can trek 9 km from the main market of Nainital to reach the Gurney House.
Interesting Facts About the Gurney House
- This was the summer home of Jim Corbett who had stayed in this region for quite some years.
- There is a private museum present within the house that presents to the viewers the achievements and lifestyle of Jim Corbett, the legendary.
- It is a private property of the Dalmia’s at present to whom Jim Corbett had sold his house to.
- Nainital Lake
- G. B. Pant High Altitude Zoo
- Snow View Point
- Naina Devi Temple
- Pashan Devi Temple
- Hanuman Garhi
- Tiffin Top
- Giannis Pure Veg
- Sakley’s Restaurant and Pastry Shop
- Machan Restaurant
- Café Chica
- Nanak Restaurant
- Zooby’s Kitchen
- Honey Hut
From the hustle and bustle of the city life, a trip to Nainital freshens up the mind and gives a fresh start to life. Against this beautiful scenario, the historical Gurney House of the legendary hero, Jim Corbett, adds cream to the already delicious cake and increases the popularity of the peaceful hill station of Nainital. Thus, if a visitor happens to visit Nainital on a short trip, then, a trip to the Gurney House is a must.