- Famous for: God lovers, History buffs, Serene location and blissful peace.
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee.
- Visiting Time: Sunday 7 am to 6:30 pm, Every other day: 8 am to 6:30 pm
- Visit Duration: 30 minutes to 1 hour.
St John’s the wilderness is a beautiful church in Nainital that is one of the most visited tourist spots here. Situated in the wonderful setting of Nainital this church perfectly captures the essence of history of this place. Built in the 1800’s this church was named by a Bishop from Calcutta after he spent some time here. Have the perfect exposure to yourself and have a great time to reflect on your inner self. This church is definitely going to calm you and give you relief from the hustle and bustle of the daily chores of life. Away from home this place helps you bond with people and the confession sessions here are sure to get some load of your shoulders. The beautiful architecture adds to the amazing experience and makes this place one of those locations that you can’t afford to miss during your trip to Nainital.
- This church is one of the finest places to go to in Nainital and if you visit this place during the time of prayer service you can have a new experience.
- Make sure to take a camera to capture some great pictures.
- Cameras may not be allowed inside so make sure you keep it safe.
Things to Do
- Check out the wonderful architecture of the church and the rich history of the place.
- Take a tour of the cemetery that this place holds as a token of honour to the people who lost their lives due to a terrible landslide.
- Try to experience the prayer service held at this church.
- Click amazing pictures outside the church, of the wonderful surroundings that add to the serenity of the location.
Availability of Guides
Guides are not available at this church but it surely has some rich history that one can grasp by asking the Fathers and Brothers that stay here and are more than happy to let people acknowledge the depth of culture that this place beholds.
Best Time to Visit
There is no specific best time to visit this church but visiting Nainital would be during the months of March to June, so one can have the best experience here that time of the year.
How to Reach
Located on Mannital Road this Church is just 2 km. from Nainital and one can always find a bus to reach this place. One can also rent a cab and visit the church if it suits them.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About St. John’s in the Wilderness
- The foundation of the church was laid by Bishop Daniel Wilson of Calcutta in the year 1844.
- The Bishop fell I’ll during his time here and had to stay here in the unfinished house at the end of the church which made the Bishop give the name to the church.
- The church pays homage to the people who died during the terrible landslide in the year 1880 by engraving their names on the brass plate under the altar.
- The church was built is a neo Gothic style and its architecture is one of the most fascinating things that attracts people.
- A church with the same name is built in North California and is one of the major churches there.
- Naini Lake
- Tiffin Top
- Snow view
- Hanuman Garhi
- G.B. Pant High Altitude Zoo
- Astronomical Observatory
- Eco Cave Park
- Lands’ End
- Kosi River
- Naina Devi Temple
- Sakley’s Restaurant and Party
- Udupiwala Restaurant
- The Nature Resort and Restaurant
- Machan Restaurant
- Sher E Punjab
- Café De Mall
- Chaandni Chowk
- Gardenia – the Coffee Shop
St. John’s in the Wilderness is one of the most visited places in this city and is not just a tourist spot but also carries an essence of the history of this beautiful location. Not only does this place give you more to know about Nainital but also provides you a sense of calmness and peace within you. Missing out on this place during your trip will leave your vacation incomplete and you might not be able to grasp everything that Nainital has to offer.