- Famous for: Scenery, Beauty, Photography
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee as it is a public spot
- Visiting Time: 8 AM to 7 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 3 hours to 4 hours
Sahastradhara translates to ‘the thousands of water sources that the water divides into’. This mesmerizing natural location is a top spot visited by tourists from all over the country for its mind-blowing serenity and stupendous ambience. It is located at a distance of about 15 kilometers away from Dehradun in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The area has got an amazing spread of waterfalls and caves which are a treat to the eye. The water which drips off the stalactites has got a good amount of Sulphur in it due to its limestone content. This Sulphur is what is believed to make the water medicinal with a lot of people visiting the spot for its healing properties. With an amusement park and also a ropeway for visitors to spend their time in, Sahastradhara is the perfect tourist destination for friends and family alike.
- Wear comfortable footwear as there is a lot of walking involved to reach the top of the mountains.
- Carry extra clothes as there is a water based amusement park and a spring to get drenched in.
- Be sure to be careful around the caves as the water can make the surrounding area slippery.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the marvelous view from the top of the mountain of the surrounding scenery.
- Explore the multitude of caves which surround the spring and also take a dip in the Baldi river after playing around to your heart’s content in the 9-meter-deep spring.
- Take a lot of great shots with the stunning backdrop of lush greenery and dark caves adding to the overall beauty.
- Trek around in the rocky area which surrounds the spring and enjoy the clean and refreshing atmosphere.
- Look into the step agriculture which is practiced around the area and what makes the location even more famous amongst tourists.
- Enjoy to the extreme in the water based amusement park which has been set up there with a multitude of water rides to have fun in.
- Also, look into the Shiva temple which is present nearby in a cave for a serene and holy visit.
- After tiring yourself, binge on the various kinds of food being sold at the plethora of eateries which have been opened for ravenous visitors.
Availability of Guides
This location is basically a scenic spot to bathe around and explore. There are no guides available as there are no historical sites to be explained.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to experience the total rawness of the place is during the monsoon months. This is because it is during this time that the water comes gushing down in great amounts off the cliffs and can be enjoyed to the most. It is also a great spot to escape from the heat of the summers.
How to Reach
Situated at about 15 kilometers from the center of Dehra Dun, this location can easily be reached through buses, auto rickshaws or private cabs. Since it is a popular tourist destination of Dehradun it has a number of public transport options available.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Sahastradhara
- The prime attraction of the spot is due to the medicinal values of the water sources, attributed to the sulphur which gets mixed into it from the stalactites over which it flows.
- It is popularly known as sulphur springs due to the sulphur content in the water.
- The temperature of the water is chilly.
- A Dronacharya Cave which pays respect to the Guru is present over here.
- The agriculture which is practiced around is step agriculture and is another reason why tourists flock to the spot.
- The Sahastradhara spring is about 10 meters deep and perfect for taking a dip in.
- The caves have been naturally sculpted by the force of the water which flows over the ridges of the rocky surroundings.
- Nanking Restaurant
- Black Pepper
- Town Table
- Ellora’s Melting Moments
- Chicken Point
- Jharia Pani Falls
- Tapkeshwar Temple
- Santala Devi Temple
- Ram Rai Gurudwara
The soul-stirring beauty of the place is ever mesmerizing and quite intoxicating indeed. All this makes Sahastradhara the right place to relax both the soul and the body and to enjoy in some well-deserved self-indulgence.