- Famous For: Spirituality, Serenity, Nature
- Entrance Fee: No fee as it is a public place
- Visiting Time: 6 AM to 8 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
A blend of nature in its mesmerizing state and the peak of holiness is what the location of Tapovan guarantees. Tapovan is a dainty spot located quite near to Dehradun in the state of Uttarakhand. Famous all over the country as a holy site to be visited, it attracts a large number of devotees from every nook and corner of the country who want spiritual guidance. With the serene Ganga river flowing through it, Tapovan literally translates to the forest where the penance was undertaken by the great saint Guru Dronacharya, the teacher of the Pandavas and the Kauravas. Widely popular for its serene atmosphere, the place has a temple which can be seen filled with people who meditate in the calm aura of the location in total bliss. Usually tourists trek to the spot and then completely drown themselves in the calming chants of the saints.
- Wear comfortable trekking shoes when trekking up the trail to Tapovan.
- Wear clothing according to the climate of the area.
- Carry plenty of water around as the climate can keep making you thirsty.
Things to Do
- Trek up to Tapovan through the trekking trail located above the Gangotri glacier.
- Unwind and relax in the stupendous surrounding with the greenery which spreads all around it and succumb to the sound of gushing water.
- Meditate in the serene and calming atmosphere which has a holy aura to it with the chanting of hymns and the ringing of bells.
- Photograph the natural beauty which is present as far as the eye can see to your heart’s content.
- The architecture of the temple which has been erected is also something to marvel at and explore.
- Go shopping at the local shops which sell some great local products and artifacts.
- Eat out at local eateries which have a great spread of local authentic cuisines to gorge into.
Availability of Guides
There are not many guides available around here, though the locals could help out by guiding towards the location. Once the temple is reached, there are people who can enlighten you on the history and architecture of the place.
Best Time to Visit
Tapovan is an ideal location which can be visited at any time of the year. But the months from April to June are the best to make the most of the trip, as the climate is pleasant and mild throughout. All the activities can be carried out and enjoyed to the maximum extent without worrying about the scorching heat. Winters can get very chilly and leads to snowing in and around the region while monsoons can see lot of downpour.
How to Reach
It is present at a distance of about 5 kilometers from the city of Dehradun. There are plenty of buses, cabs and auto rickshaws to reach Tapovan from Dehradun. By air, Dehradun can be reached by the Jolly Grant Airport while the nearest railway station is the Dehradun railway station which has a well-connected network to many cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Lucknow.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Tapovan
- The place has got its name from the two words of Tapas and Vanam, which basically mean penance and forest respectively.
- Guru Dronacharya did his penance here, as a result of which the place is believed to have spiritual significance.
- He was an important person in molding the personalities of the Pandavas and the Kauravas.
- The Tapovan ashram conducts lots of spiritual activities with special emphasis on yoga and meditation throughout the year.
- Located above the Gangotri glacier and zigzagged through by the Ganga river, Tapovan is a great place to witness natural beauty.
- Chicken Point
- Laxman Siddh Restaurant
- Black Pepper
- Town Table
- Nanking Restaurant
- Tapkeshwar Temple
- Ram Rai Gurudwara
- The Kalinga War Memorial
- Laxman Siddh
Tapovan, as its name suggests, provides the right ambience to lay back and let our meandering thoughts find meaning. With both a pinch of adventure and a dash of spirituality, Tapovan is a place to be visited to get away from the hustle of everyday life and to experience a whole new level of enjoyment.