- Famous For: Brilliant lake-view, Bird watching, boating
- Entrance Fee: There are no entrance fees for entering Salim Ali Lake and the bird sanctuary. It is a public place and can be visited by everyone.
- Visiting Time: The Salim Ali Lake and Bird Sanctuary is open on all days of the week. You can visit this wonderful location from 0800 – 1700 hours.
- Visiting Duration: It is a scenic lake and is a sight to cherish. It takes about 1-2 hours to visit the lake and the bird sanctuary. It could take some more time if you decide to go for boating or bird-watching.
Salim Ali Lake and Bird Sanctuary is located in the middle of city suburbs, but does not cast any shadow on its beauty. The lake is a prime spectacle and is a great source of joy for the weary city dwellers. And the bird sanctuary is a humble abode of various local and migratory birds.
This lush foliage site, acts as the green lungs for the city. The sound of chirruping birds against the lake’s background is a must see, especially during dawn.
- This place is an ecologically sensitive site. Please do not litter in the area. Use the dustbins placed at regular stops.
- Be careful while going for boating in the lake. If you do not know swimming, let the authorities know. Insist on wearing the right safety equipment.
- Take care while bird watching. You are not allowed to harm the birds in any way. It is punishable by law.
- Always follow the trail while visiting the sanctuary. Do not roam around without knowing the area.
- Carry dark shades or caps to protect you from the sun. Also remember to wear comfortable shoes while exploring the sanctuary.
- Do not make excessive or unnecessary noise when exploring the bird sanctuary.
Things to Do
- Go for a boating trip on the shifting calm lake waters.
- Take an engaging walk in the vibrant garden near the lake.
- Explore the bird sanctuary and its wonderful collection of birds.
- Try out bird watching. It is one of the best places in India for it.
- Plan a small picnic near the lake and relax with your family.
Availability of Guides
You don’t need guides to take you around the Salim Ali Lake. It is very easy to navigate around the lake. But for the sanctuary it is better to go along with an expert one. The guide will be able to explain about the migratory lifestyle of the various birds. You can book a guide from the local agencies.
Best Time to Visit
Ideally, the perfect time for you to visit the lake would be between October – January. The weather is pleasant throughout the year. Also, you will find a lot of exotic birds as it is the migratory season.
How to Reach
The nearest airport is at Aurangabad. It is well connected to the nearby major cities. There are also regular trains that keep Salim Ali Lake and Bird Sanctuary within your reach.
Inside the city, you will find various buses, autos and taxis to ferry you. You can even go on special tourism buses that take you around the city.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Salim Ali Lake and Bird Sanctuary
- The Salim Ali Lake or popularly also called Salim Ali Talab is located near the Delhi Gate near Himayat Bagh. It is a major green location in the city limits.
- It has an enriching history to tell for its origins. During the Mughal era, the entire place was initially just a marshy tank. Due to excessive dampness, the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb had a large part of the land reclaimed. The rest formed the lake as we know it today. To begin with it went by the name Khizri talab.
- The lake was later renamed after India’s famous ornithologist Salim Ali. Nicknamed the “Birdman of India”, he was one of the first to perform extensive bird surveys. He was awarded for his immense contribution towards wildlife conservation. Hence the lake was named in his honor.
- With the making of the lake a small bird sanctuary also came up because of the different migratory species that flew in each year. There is also a garden made in Mughal style, adorning the Lake.
- Bibi ka Maqbara
- Shahganj Masjid
- Majnu Hills
- Nawab Manzil
- Makai Gate
- Daulatabad Fort
- Ajanta Caves
- Ellora Caves
Nearby Places to Eat
- Visawa Restaurant
- Charming Family Restaurant
- Madni Restaurant
- Hotel Yash Executive
- Raza Tahari & Biryani Restaurant
- Lucky Restaurant
- New Sagar Restaurant
- Mughal Darbar and Restaurant
Salim Ali Lake and Bird Sanctuary is a nature lover’s spot! For somebody who loves to lose themselves in the natural world, it is a great place. In fact, your kids will love this experience where they get to enjoy and also learn something new!
Don’t wait up for this. Take the next opportunity and get travelling!