- Famous for: history, army, artefacts, photography, relics.
- Entrance Fee: 20 INR.
- Visiting Time: 9 AM-5 PM.
- Visit Duration: 1 hour.
Almora is not all about picturesque landscapes, trekking trails and stay-ins. It also has a proud tradition to scream at the top of their lungs to the rest of the world. The Kumaon Regimental Centre Museum is just that. Then it saw day of light in 1974 and is dedicated to the Kumaon Regiment of the Indian Army. Be prepared for that bursting sense of patriotic love for one’s country as you walk through the corridors of the Museum.
- Maintain discipline throughout as the visit by following the rules specified.
- Even though the Museum has food stalls, you can carry handy snacks and water inside the Museum so that you won’t get hungry in between.
- It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and make sure that you don’t litter the museum with plastic bottles, covers and other wastes.
- Make sure you don’t touch the relics and artifacts.
- Make sure you hire a guide so that he can entertain you to a little bit of history and those juicy stories behind the relics stored in the Museum.
Things to Do
- Admire the beauty and pay respect to those soldiers who were brave in the face of danger.
- Since the Museum is located in a small rustic hamlet, named Ranikhet you can go on a trekking expedition in the nearby surroundings.
- Indulge in the local culture of the Ranikhet village and you can enjoy a mesmerizing day amidst a beautiful green blanket.
- You can go for a walk in the surrounding picturesque landscape of Almora or hitch a picnic spot and plan something creative for your loved ones.
Availability of Guides
It will be quite interesting if you have a local guide with you because it would be fascinating to hear stories about the war times and the history associated with the relics in the Museum. It would also help you mingle easily with the local culture. You can avail a local tourist guide who is reliable and helpful, from the official Tourist Office at Almora. This would be the safest bet for you.
Best Time to Visit
Almora is really pleasant throughout the year but the months from March to November, see the flocking of people to this little piece of heaven, to enjoy the mind-blowing views of the scenic blanket surrounding Almora.
How to Reach
Ranikhet is well accessible by rail, road and air. The nearest railway station to Ranikhet is Kathgodam Railway Station and from here you can avail state transport buses to the village of Ranikhet which is only an hour’s drive from Kathgodam.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Kumaon Regimental Centre Museum
- The Kumaon Regimental Center is devoted to the Kumaon and Naga Regiments
- The Museum is one of a kind and probably the first few of its kind to document the social ethos of military life.
- Harbors numerous relics and war weapons particularly those used in the Kargil war are the major attractions in the Museum.
Almora is a preferred tourist destination in the country and is never short on trekking trails and picturesque landscapes. Check out these attractions near Kumaon Regimental Centre Museum:
- Kasar Devi Temple
- Bhalu Dam
- Mankameshwar Temple
- Lal Bazaar
- Bright End Corner
- Jhula Devi Temple
- Baba Cake
- Godavari Restaurant
- Kaafal Café
- Café Coffee Day
- Joshjus Restaurant
- Dolma Restaurant
- Kasar Rainbow Restaurant
- The Glory
The Kumaon Regimental Centre is not only for those who are patriotic and have that ardent love for their country. It is a definite tourist spot and can be enjoyed well by those who share a passion for the military and of course you can also learn a little bit of history along the way.