- Famous For: Scenery, Serenity, Photography
- Entrance Fee: No fee as it is a public tourist spot
- Visit Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The spectacular location of Martola is situated in Khairna in the state of Uttarakhand. At a distance of about 9-10 kilometers from Almora, this breathtaking spot makes anyone fall in love with it because of its amazing backdrop and lush greenery. Located at an altitude of about 530 meters above sea level, this spot has a beautiful blend of both natural forests and exquisite gardens to catch anybody off guard with its beauty. A large number of foreign nationals can be found living around here as they have been lured by the sensational attraction of nature and have decided to settle down in the location for the rest of their life. To have a soul-stirring trip which makes you completely live in the moment and relish the grip of nature, a trip to Martola has to be undertaken by every nature lover and travel enthusiast.
- Since there will be a lot of walking to do around those scenic locations, wear comfortable shoes for the activity.
- The climate can turn really chilly as the day ends, and hence some cozy clothing should be carried around.
Things to Do
- Trek around the amazing lush greenery which spreads as far as the eye can see to get lost within the sublimity of nature.
- Photograph to your heart’s content with such an amazing hillside backdrop to complement the forests and gardens.
- Visit the nearby temples like the spectacular Katarmal Sun Temple to fire the devotion in you.
- Try out the eateries which make some really great local food to relish the native tastes of the location.
- Enjoy the marvelous sunrise and sunset from this stupendous view.
- Picnic around with family and friends in one of the plethora of beautiful locations available in and around the area.
Availability of Guides
Since there is nothing much to learn about this spot as this is mainly a tourist spot for visitors to enjoy the ambience and beauty, there are no guides available.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit would be the winter months so as to escape the scorching heat of the rest of the plains. The starting of winter like the months of September to November offer a chilly pleasantness which is another time to visit to enjoy to the most.
How to Reach
The nearest railway station is the Kathgodam Railway Station which is almost 90 kilometers away and has a good network as it connects to cities like Haridwar, Lucknow, New Delhi etc. Public transport from Almora is easily available to Khairna as they are just at a distance of about 10 kilometers from each other. Auto rickshaws and cabs can also be taken to reach Khairna. Tourists also reach Martola by walk from Panuwanaula as the path is quite marvelous with its stunning view.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Martola
- Many foreign nationals have settled down in Martola as they have been attracted by the natural aura and serene ambiance of the place.
- A lot of religious festivals like the Nanda Devi Festival, Dwarahat and the Uttraini Festival are carried out here.
- The Nanda Devi festival is celebrated once a year in the month of September, in reverence of Nanda.
- The annual fair of the place is called the Uttraini festival with a lot of local products being sold and being celebrated with great frolic by the locals.
- Martola comes around the area ruled by the Chand Dynasty with Almora which served as a popular summer retreat for the royalty of the kingdom back in ancient times.
- Himsagar Hotel
- Shikar Hotel
- Quality Inn
- Sainikh Rest House
- Bright End Corner
- Govind Ballabh Pant Museum
- Ferinaag Temple
- Hanuman Mandir
- Mool Narayan Temple
- Katarmal Sun Temple
Martola is nothing less than a heaven on Earth with its picturesque location and calming nature. The breathtaking view and greenery is enough to envision ourselves in a timeless spot with no boundaries between humans and nature. All this makes Martola one of the locations which cannot be missed by any travel junkie on his trip to Almora.