- Famous for: Scenery, Photography, Serenity, Devotion.
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee.
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily).
- Visiting Duration: 1.5-2 hours.
Kalimut, located in the district of Almora is a famous scenic location present in the state of Uttarakhand. Surrounded by the majestic Himalayas, this place is thronged by visitors from all over the country for its famed Kali temple and the exquisite location. At an altitude of about 1750 meters above the sea level, this location delivers a scintillating view of the mountain range with its dazzling white mountains and lush green forests. Kalimut has got the Saraswati river winding its way through the surrounding foothills. The perfect spot to unwind and relax, Kalimut is a must visit for nature fanatics who want to spend some serene time in the grasp of nature, away from the bustle of everyday life. The rocky area with its undulating landscape also provides a great location for people to walk around and enjoy the stillness of the high-altitude location.
- Since the region is quite chilly due to its geographical location, it is advised to carry warm clothes and accessories.
- Wear comfortable shoes as walking and trekking around is an enjoyable activity to be carried out near the area.
- Be ready to visit the revered Kali temple as part of a huge crowd as it is quite famous and attracts a lot of devotees.
Things to Do
- Trek to the top through the pathways which have some really great views along the way.
- Photograph to your heart’s content as there is an amazing backdrop which can contribute to some really great and scenic memories.
- Sit back and relax to escape into the timelessness of the serene location.
- Try out some native cuisines by visiting the local eateries which serve ethnic food.
- Shop out at the markets and buy local handicrafts from the vendors who are present everywhere.
- Carry out a village walk to experience the routines of the daily life of the locals.
- Visit the famed Kali temple for the perfect spiritual experience to complete the trip as a whole.
Availability of Guides
Kalimut being a scenic location with a great view does not really require guides to roam around. Hence there are no proper guides for the place as it is quite simple to find out your way and is basically a picnic spot to unwind.
Best Time to Visit
Kalimut is a location which is perfect to be visited all around the year. The best time to plan a getaway to this cool spot would be during the scorching months of summer. During the winters, it gets really cold with temperature dropping below the zero level. But visiting the location with its snow-capped mountains during the winter is another experience in itself.
How to Reach
The closest airport to Kalimut is the Patnagar Airport located at a distance of about 120 kilometers from it. The Kathgodam railway station is the nearest means to reach Almora by rail. It is well connected to cities like Lucknow, Delhi and Mumbai. After reaching Almora, Kalimut can easily be reached by the plethora of options available like public buses, cabs and auto rickshaws as they are just at a distance of about 5 kilometers from each other.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Kalimut
- The temple in Kalimut which is devoted to Goddess Kali is one of the holy Shakthi Peetas according to religious texts.
- Kalimut is said to be the birthplace of the famed poet Kalidas.
- In this spiritual temple, we can find the Goddess Kali, Goddess Saraswati and Goddess Lakshmi being revered together.
- A unique feature of the Kalimut temple is that a Shriyantra is worshipped and not a specific idol.
- The Navrathas is a period which sees a lot of religious devotees thronging the place.
- Bright End Corner
- Deer Park
- Gobind Ballabh Pant Public Museum
- Kasar Devi Temple
- Nanda Devi Temple
- Mohan’s Café
- New Soni Restaurant
- Glory Restaurant
- Khem Singh and Mohan Singh
Kalimut in addition to being a highly-revered place by devotees from all over the country, is also a stunning location which is the perfect spot to picnic with friends and family. All this makes Kalimut a location to be visited and relished.