- Popular For: Nature Lovers and Photographers.
- Entry Fee: Rs 5000-8000 per boat or Rs 125-260 per person extra charges for food
- Visiting Time: 6 am – 4pm depending on the cruise
- Visit Duration: 3-4 hours
The Chettuva Backwater in Thrissur is an offbeat travel destination for people. In the land of backwaters Kerala, there are better places to visit for a backwater experience and Alleppey is the most popular of all of them. But this small temple town Thrissur isn’t far behind. With its serene beauty and exotic tropical charm, it still has much to offer. The Chettuva Backwater in Thrissur is one such place that provides an insight into the local life of the area. It is a small backwater located in the Chettuva district of Thrissur.
The place with its mangrove vegetation and tropical ambience offers the exact gateway amidst the serenity of nature. It is a near perfect destination for nature lovers and photographers eager to catch a glimpse of nature. The small houseboats and shikaras here are the ideal place to relax and rejuvenate from a tiring schedule. The backwaters consist of a leisure cruise around the Chettuva lake, Kanoli kanal, Ennamavu kayal, Kadassankadavu and Tripayar. Apart from house boats and shikaras, motor boats are also available to take you on quick tour of the backwaters. Usually people look for sunset or sunrise cruise as it offers a glistening view of the landscape amidst the scattered rays.
- The backwaters are best visited on a house boats or canal rafts. So, make sure you opt for that.
- Life is much slow paced in the backwaters and it requires time to explore the place. So be prepared to spend a lot of time on the cruise. Plan well in advance and keep a day’s time to explore.
- You have to stay put in a houseboat for many hours remember that. Always wear comfortable clothing.
- Make sure you explore all the places in vicinity.
Things to Do
- A leisurely boat ride across the Chettuva lake and canals are a must in this region.
- Explore the villages and its people.
- Relax in the ayurvedic centres and detox yourself in the cradle of nature.
- Enjoy the exotic flora and fauna of the place. Different migratory birds and regional exotic birds inhabit these small inlands. Look out from them and unleash the photographer in you.
- Explore the intricate vegetation of the place – walnut, coconut, banana and mangrove trees.
- Visit the nearby attractions and explore the natural history of the place. Visit the Chettuva harbour and bungalow.
- Visit the local markets particularly the fish markets and know their ways of trade.
- Taste some local cuisine at the local market.
- Enjoy fishing at the backwaters.
Availability of Guides
Guides aren’t that much available in the backwaters. This is a place to be one with nature. Unwind and spend your day in leisurely enjoying the nature all around. So, the place is best explored without any guide.
Best Time to Visit
Winter and Summer remains the most sought after time to visit the backwaters. The weather remains mild and pleasant devoid of torrential rains. It is offers a gateway from the scorching summer heat and the cold chilly winters. Hence November – May is the ideal time to visit Chettuva backwater.
How to Reach
The closest railway station is Guruvayyur lying at a distance of mere 10 kms but Thrissur remains the most well connected railway station. It is about 13 km from Thalikulam, Thrissur and takes about 20 mins drive from there. The Thrissur railway station is 30 km from Chettuva and takes about 45 min to reach. Cars and buses connect these places. The nearest airport Kochin lies at a distance of 73km and is well connected by road. Thus, Chettuva is easily accessible from Thrissur, Guruvayyur and Cochin.
Interesting Facts and Trivia
- A relatively unknown backwater, chettuva is part of the national waterways.
- Chettuva villages are heritage villages as declared by the state government in 2010.
- It is known for eco-friendly green tourism.
- Air conditioned 5-star accommodation are available on the house boats.
- Recently, they have started ayurvedic meditation facilities on the house boats.
- The house boats are intricately carved out from Kashmiri deodar trees. It is a plan to replicate the famous shikaras and house boats of Kashmir.
- Chettuva Bungalow and Harbour, the William Fort and Raja Islands are the most sought after destinations in the locality.
- Guruvayyur temple, its elephant park and the blangad beach lies close by, around 10-12kms of chettuva.
- Thalikulam beach is 19km from the backwaters.
- Peechi Sanctuary and Chimoni Sanctuary is 60 kms from here.
- Charpa waterfalls is at a drive of 87km from Chettuva.
- Rasoi, Aroma Sweet House, Safa Vegi, Surabhi Restaurant, Tea for In and Ambadi Family Restaurant are the closest food destinations.
- Vidya Residency, Ming Palace and Sapphire Food Castle are the top most restaurants lying in the vicinity. They can be found near Thrissur within 20 km of Chettuva.
- Hotel Mothi Mahal, Joys Palace Hotel and Luciya Palace are other top destinations close by. All of them are found near Thrissur.
- Kaustubham and Shree Gokulam Vanamala in Guruvayyur are some other options for dining out.
- RPK residency and Indian Coffee House are other well-known destinations in Guruvayyur.
A bundle of joy from the temple town Thrissur, The Chettuva backwaters have all the charm to attract tourists. Its exotic tropical beauty, pleasant ambience and enticing delicacies makes it the most sought after destination in Thrissur. So, pack your packs and head to Thrissur. Enjoy the life of a traveller and get to know its people.