- Famous for: Serenity, Architecture
- Entrance Fee: No fee for this place of worship
- Visiting Time: 5:30 AM to 7:00 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The Cheraman Juma Masjid is located at Thrissur in the state of Kerala. Hailed as one of the most important turning points of history, this structure, located at about 2 kilometers away from Kondungallur was the first Masjid to be constructed in the country. It imbibes an excellent blend of cultures as it was built following the Hindu and Arabic architectural style for temples and thus attracts devotees of all religions. This spot further attracts worshippers and devotees as it was the second spot where the practice of offering Jumma prayers was initiated in the country. This is one place which brought about the diversity which is widely seen as the soul of the country. Moreover, the serenity which surrounds the locality and the aura which is pertinent in the environment makes it the perfect place to visit indeed.
- Keep yourself hydrated to keep up with the humidity of the region.
- Women aren’t allowed inside the mosque.
Things to Do
- Relax in the serene environment and enjoy the architectural beauty of the premises.
- Explore the blend in the architectural styles of ancient Hindu and Arabic culture.
- Take a look at the popular lamp which is said to have been lit for over a thousand years.
- Look into the famed tombs of Habib Bin Malik and his wife Khumarriah as well as the pond which is located near the mosque.
- Try out the eateries around the area to get to know the authentic taste of the locality.
- Shop at the local markets to collect some artifacts form this region.
Availability of Guides
Since this is a small place of worship there are no need for guides to see around this quaint spot.
Best Time to Visit
Thrissur has a tropical climate and hence is quite humid. The summers are very hot as the temperatures can reach about 40 degrees while the monsoons can experience heavy rainfall making these seasons not quite pleasant to visit. The winters are the best time to visit as the climate is quite mild and even the city is less crowded making it more comfortable to visit as even the temperature during this time is just around 25 degrees.
How to Reach
Located at a distance of about 2 kilometers from Kondungallur in the village of Methala, this spot is quite easily reachable. The closest well connected railway station is present at Irinjalakuda which is about 20 kilometers away from Thrissur. Moreover, the nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport which is connected to all the major cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai and is present at a distance of about 40 kilometers from this spot. A number of cabs and auto rickshaws make the spot easily reachable.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About the Cheraman Juma Masjid
- This is the only mosque in Kerala which faces eastwards while the rest of them face westwards.
- Vijayadhasami, a Hindu festival is celebrated by the followers in the mosque bringing to light the unity within these two cultures.
- The white marble in the premises is said to have been brought from Makkah.
- The construction of this mosque was the result of a chain of events which started with the then ruler of the region, Cheraman Perumal having a dream which convinced him to accept Islam and visit Makkah.
- This mosque was later constructed after Malik Bin Deenar and Malik Bin Habib came to Kerala to spread the significance of their beliefs at around 629 AD.
- The minarets which are four in number were later added on during the renovation of the structure.
- Our ex-president, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam is one of the noted personalities to have performed his prayers here.
- Raina Restaurants
- Nancy Family Restaurants
- Amaz Bakes and Restaurant
- Vishanu Fruits and Cool Bar
- Beach Valley Ice Cream Parlor
- Cherai Beach
- Sreekaleeswari Theatre
- Thiruvanchikulam Mahadeva Temple
- Cheengra Mala
- Kottayi Kovilakom Hillock
A rustic environment which hosts such a great marvel and an important point in history is what a visit to this spot guarantees. To open up your soul and mind, and get the mind back on track, this is the perfect place to visit.