- Famous For: History, Heritage, Photography.
- Entry Fee: Entrance is free of cost.
- Visiting Time: The luxury hotel is open 24×7. However, if you are going there for a short visit, you can opt to go there during the day.
- Visiting Duration: 30 minutes to 1 hour.
The state of Kerala with its sun-kissed beaches and the lush, green river banks present a picturesque surrounding to the eyes of every visitor. Such is the beauty of this place that many people are inclined to visit the enchanting place again and again. This must have been the same thoughts in the minds of M. R. Sri Rama Varma Valiya Koil Thampuran when he had got the Halcyon Castle built in Kovalam as a summer retreat where he could enjoy with his family. Thus, after he sold this castle off, this castle was converted to a luxury hotel keeping the unique architectural style or Kerala intact. Today, the Halcyon Castle is considered as a heritage site and is frequently visited by tourists all the year round.
- Take your sunglasses, umbrellas, caps and hats along with yourself to beat the sun and to escape from getting a suntan.
- Enjoy watching the sunset from the beautiful lawn of the Halcyon Castle.
- Do not enter the restricted zones of the castle or do not enter those parts of the corridors which a part of the luxurious hotel if you do have a booking.
- You can even take your camera alongside to click photographs of this beautiful architecture as a remembrance.
Things to Do There
- Satisfy your appetite by helping yourself to the wide variety of delicious food at the restaurants in the castle if you can afford it.
- Marvel in the architectural relics of the Halcyon Castle.
- If you are interested in painting, you can set up your canvas and paint the historic abode.
- Take multiple photographs of the scenic beauty all around to show your family and friends.
Availability of Guides
Visitors are advised to explore the place on their own or hire someone from the State Tourism due to the absence of guides at this place.
Best Time to Visit
The Halcyon Castle can be visited all the year round if you want to stay at the luxurious hotel. But it is recommended to visit the castle in between November and February for a pleasant weather.
How to Reach
The Halcyon Castle is located just 2 km away from the heart of Kovalam. You can visit the place by hiring an auto-rickshaw or a cab. You can even take a pleasurable walk down the historic streets to reach the castle.
Interesting Facts About the Halcyon Castle
- The Halcyon Castle is inspired by the original and cultural architecture in Kerala.
- The Halcyon Castle is known as the Kovalam Palace among the local residents.
- It was built as per the requirements of a summer retreat for R. Sri Rama Varma Valiya Koil Thampuran and his family in 1932.
- This is a heritage luxury hotel at present that has been visited by many famous personalities from all over the world.
- Lighthoue Beach
- Kovalam Beach
- Samudra Beach
- Neyyar Dam
- Sellayani Lake
- Soji Yoga – Day Classes
- Karamana River
- Kovalam Surf Club
- Ayurveda Panchakarma Centre
- 3rd Rock
- Sanjeevani restaurant
- Curry Leaf
- A Beach Café
- Oyster Restaurant
- Malabar Café
- Lonely Planet
- The Terrace
- Molly’s Retreat Restaurant
The Halcyon Castle is a symbol of the lifestyle of the aristocratic class in Kerala in the 20th Century. This palace that has been converted into a luxurious hotel now is rich in its grandeur. Thus, the Halcyon Castle is a must visit for all.