- Famous for: Coastline, Fishing, sea-port, Village life
- Entrance Fee: Free of charge
- Visiting Time: Open round the clock
- Visit Duration: 4 to 5 hours
Situated around 3 kilometres away from Kovalam, Vizhinjam Village has a very old and rustic appearance. The place is a natural harbour and sees a large number of fishermen on its beautiful coast every day. This place not only provides a great way for the tourists to experience the village life in the state, but also gives a peek into one of the busiest fishing ports near Thiruvananthapuram. Vizhinjam Village has had a long history and has seen a number of dynasties rule over it from the 7th century AD. Starting from the Ay Dynasty, the place has moved from the hands of the Cholas, the Dutch, and the Portuguese rulers. Now the village attracts tourist with its traditions and the famous marine aquarium and the rock-cut temples.
- Though the weather is mostly pleasant, noon time can get a little warmer than comfortable. So, it is best to wear comfortable clothing and to carry sunscreen with you at all times.
- Carrying your own water bottle can be a huge relief in the village where you may not find bottled water everywhere.
- As the village is a fishing harbour, the place usually smells of foul fish. It is often a good idea to observe it from afar to avoid the nauseating smell.
Things to Do
- Visit the Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium to see a wide variety of sea creatures like clown fish, lion fish, sharks, surgeon fish, butterfly fish, giant turtles, piranhas, and moon wrasse. This place is a must visit for any marine life enthusiast!
- Take a trip to the rock-cut cave temples built in the 1700s. The temple is the residing place of the Hindu deities including Vinadhara Dakshinamurthi, Lord Shiva, and Goddess Parvathi.
- See the stunning Vizhinjam Mosque that stands proudly near the fishing harbour.
- Walk around the village and observe the daily lives of the fishermen who leave the harbour at dawn and return from the sea after dusk with the day’s catch.
Availability of Guides
You can visit Vizhinjam with a guide from Kovalam or Thiruvananthapuram. The guided tour can include the village and other nearby attractions.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Vizhinjam Village is from the months of November to February as the temperature is quite pleasant during this time. Light showers and cool breezes will greet you at this time here.
How to Reach
The village is situated around three kilometres away from the town of Kovalam. You can easily get an auto rickshaw or a bus till here from the town.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Vizhinjam Village
- Vizhinjam Village has a power plant at the fishing harbour which works on the Oscillating Water Column and provides electricity to the villagers.
- Recent excavations in the village have revealed that the place used to be a platform for international maritime trade in the area.
- The village once had trade relations with the Persian Gulf and East Asia.
- Marine Aquarium
- Rock-cut Temple
- Vizhinjam Fishing Harbor
- Vizhinjam Mosque
- Lighthouse Beach
- Samudra Beach
- Kovalam Beach
- Grow Beach
- Vellayani Lake
- Hotel Afzal Family Restaurant
- Rock n’ Beach
- Spice Village Kerala Tradition
- Santana Restaurant
- Ustad Hotel
- The Tides
- Punjabi Dhaba
- The Water’s Edge
Vizhinjam Village is a must visit if you are traveling to Kovalam. Far away from the hectic city life, you will find yourself enveloped by age old cultures and traditions of this warm and loving fishing community. The place not only brings a wave of newness and a fresh breath of live, but also mesmerizes visitors with its stunning views.