- Famous For: Nature, Photography, Adventure, Romance, Mythology.
- Entry Fee: No fee is required barring adventure sports, transport and food.
- Visiting Time: From sunrise to sunset.
- Visiting Duration: 30 minutes to 1 hour or even more as per your liking.
Kerala is a land of water sports and festivities on the lagoons and lakes. This place is blessed with a varsity of water bodies that acts as the mirror for the scenic beauty all around. The water bodies are the surfaces that nature chooses in Kerala to woo the tourists with its marvelous reflections. Hence, tourists often visit this state only because of the marvelous beauty that the water bodies offer. One such popular water body in Kovalam in Kerala is the Vellayani Lake. This lake is the very same lake that is familiar to us because of the wallpapers of the Onam festival. It is on this same lake that the popular boating competitions take place and, hence, the Vellayani Lake is famous all over the world. Hence, tourists from all over the world visit this mythological and holy lake every year especially during the festival of Onam.
- Make sure that you get to visit the lake during the grand festival of Onam.
- Be careful of your belongings because you might lose track of them in the overcrowded area.
Things to Do There
- Enjoy a quiet walk down the banks of the Vellayani Lake amidst the lush, green vegetation filled with the fragrance of wild flowers.
- You can try out various local dishes that would satisfy your taste buds to the fullest.
- Go for boating or any other adventure sport to get a feel of light adventure.
Availibility of Guides
Professional guides are bound to be present there at that time. So, need not worry as you can carry on with your enjoyment wholeheartedly.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Karamani River in Kovalam, Kerala, is from October to February every year as it is that time of the year when the heat is bearable up to a great extent. However, if you want to see the lake at its greatest grandeur, then you should try to visit the lake during the festival of Onam.
How to Reach
The Vellayani Lake is located at a distance of 7 km from the centre of Kovalam. So, you can hire a cab or board a tourist bus to reach the lake.
Interesting Facts About the Vellayani Lake
- The origin of the Vellayani Lake is associated with a mythological story.
- The Vellayani Lake is a sacred lake and is worshipped by the local residents.
- The Vellayani Lake is the venue for the boating competitions that take place in this region during the festival of Onam.
- Lighthoue Beach
- Kovalam Beach
- Samudra Beach
- Neyyar Dam
- Sellayani Lake
- Soji Yoga – Day Classes
- Karamana River
- Kovalam Surf Club
- Ayurveda Panchakarma Centre
- 3rd Rock
- Sanjeevani restaurant
- Curry Leaf
- A Beach Café
- Oyster Restaurant
- Malabar Café
- Lonely Planet
- The Terrace
- Molly’s Retreat Restaurant
The Vellayani Lake is rich in both beauty and bounty. With a picturesque view presented in the surrounding, this lake is ideal for a romantic boat ride in the evening while watching the reflection of the setting sun on the surface of the lake. Apart from boating on the lake, the tourists can also enjoy taking a pleasurable walk down the banks of the lake or they can sit and gorge on delicious snacks to make their trip to the Vellayani Lake so memorable that they are compelled to return to this place again and again. Hence, to experience the magic that this place has in store for the visitors, the Vellayani Lake is a must visit for all.