- Famous For: Photography, Scenery, Serenity
- Entrance Fee: There is no entry fee as it is a public location.
- Visiting Time: Open at all times everyday
- Visit Duration: 1 to 2 days
The Summer Hill is one of the most beautiful and mesmerizing of the seven hills which make up Shimla, present in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Situated at an altitude of about 2100 feet above the sea level, this spot is frequented by visitors from all over the country for its cool, pleasant atmosphere and the lush greenery which dominates the area. The dense forest is a welcome spot to get in touch with nature and to enjoy the most amongst the varied fauna and flora within in. The white mountains which rise high, offer the perfect sublimity in such a location, for tourists to unwind and de-stress completely from the hustle of daily life. The hill is situated at about 5 kilometers from the famed Shimla Ridge, and has to be visited to enjoy its beauty.
- The hills are chilly and hence wear good cozy clothing which can keep you warm.
- There will be a lot of trekking and walking around involved within the area and hence comfortable shoes should we worn.
- Apply adequate sunscreen lotion to protect yourself from the sunlight at higher altitudes.
Things to Do
- Stay at one of the many beautiful guest houses and enjoy the serenity and ambience of the pleasant location.
- This spot is a photography haven for anyone looking to exploit the brilliant picturesque location and capture some amazing shots.
- Going horse back riding through those dense forests with the wind blowing against your face is a great feeling indeed.
- Visit the Monorville Mansion, which had hosted Mahatma Gandhi whenever he visited Shimla.
- Trek through the dense forest and enjoy some great moments in the lap of Mother Nature.
- Try out the local eateries for their authentic, ethnic food and shop around at the local bazaars.
Availability of Guides
Since this location is more of a leisure spot than a historical one, there are no guides available. The location can be easily navigated with the help of locals and the boards which are present everywhere.
Best Time to Visit
The Summer Hill is a location which can be visited all around the year due to its perfect ambience. The best time, however, would be the summer as the climate is chilly and provides the perfect getaway from the heat of the other regions. The winter in this region is extremely cold with temperatures dropping below the zero-degree mark.
How to Reach
The Summer Hill lies on the Kalka-Shimla Railway line and hence can be easily reached through the railways. Public transport can also be used by getting off buses which are prevalent everywhere around the region especially from and to Shimla. Cabs and auto rickshaws are also available in plenty.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About the Summer Hill
- The forest which covers the whole hill is filled with a great blend of floral species like the oaks, deodars and the pines.
- The place is quite famous for hosting the house of the renowned painter Amrita Shergil, which are adorned with some stupendous paintings.
- Mahatma Gandhi had stayed in the beautiful Monorville Mansion, which belongs to Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, who was an active freedom fighter and one of the members who framed the Constitution.
- The Himachal Pradesh University which is located in this area, is an important educational hub with an elaborate campus.
- Another popular name for the Summer Hill is the Potter’s Hill, as this place is famous for clay and potters used to come here looking for clay to make their products.
- Hotel Barog Heights
- The Chalets Naldehra
- Wake & Bake Café
- Café Simla Times
- Ashiana & Goofa
- Swad Food Point
The Summer Hills is the perfect location to vacation without a worry, while taking in the stunning surroundings with its ever-pleasant aura of the mesmerizing nature. With a lot of activities to do and many places to see within the area, the summer hills are one of the most attractive places around Shimla to spend some quality time with family and friends. This is also the right location to self-indulge and make some great experiences in the locality.