- Famous for: Sightseeing, Point of Interest & important Landmark.
- Entrance Fees:
- Visiting Time: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
- Duration of Visit: 60 to 90 minutes.
The Scandal Point (Ridge) is located on famous Mall Road of Shimla. It is actually the point of meeting of Mall Road with Ridge Road on the west side. It is an open area which serves as a place for meeting. It lies in the heart of Mall Road and is situated beside the bazaars of Shimla. In addition to all this there is a nice little Church at the Scandal Point which you can pay a visit on your trip to Shimla.
- Don’t forget to take your camera or handycam with you as the place offers a view point for some captivating scenery of the hills around Shimla.
- It is not prohibited to shoot video or do some still photography at the place.
- Wear some comfortable footwear because to experience any kind of joy from Mall Road, you’ll need to walk on that asphalt.
- Always keep a water bottle with you in case of dehydration.
Things to Do
- Roam around the place, breath in that fresh cold mountain area and have some cutting chai while you are immersed in the vistas of this beautiful hill station.
- Talk with the locals and hear the tantalizing tale of Maharaja of Patiala and his beloved English Lady which entails the Scandal Point to this day.
- There is a nice little Church at the Scandal Point which you can pay a visit.
- Other point of interest and important landmarks of the Scandal Point are the General Post Office of Shimla and a statue of late freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai.
- You can also have some photographs clicked in ethnic Shimla wear.
Availability of Guides
There is no need to hire a guide or avail their services. The place is pretty much self-explanatory.
Best Time to Visit
Shimla being a hill station sits at an elevation of 2276 metres above sea level. So, it is advisable to visit the capital during the summer months. Especially between the months of March and June, during which the weather is quite pleasant. The temperature varies from 15 degrees to 30 degrees of Celsius which is quite comfortable for sightseeing.
How to Reach
The Scandal Point is a mere 700 metres from the Lakkar Bazaar, Bus Stand of Shimla. It is also not really far from the railway station either and is just 2 kilometres away. If you have filed in, then we would suggest you to take the route which goes via SH 16 as the Scandal Point Ridge is then about 20 kilometres away from the Shimla airport. Other modes of transport such as private taxis and auto-rickshaws are also available.
- To this day, the tale of Scandal Point tantalizes the coming tourists and entices the locals. No solid background story can be said or heard about the mysterious point.
- Some say it was the charismatic Bhupinder Singh the Maharaja of Patiala who eloped with the daughter of a British Viceroy. Some say it was his father Rajinder Singh who is rumoured to have an English Woman as one of his wives.
- Whoever it was, whether the father or the son, he built himself the renowned Chail Palace in 1891, some 45 kilometres away from Shimla serving as a summer capital after British Authorities banished him from Shimla.
- The Ridge
- Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex
- Kali Bari Temple
- Jakhu Temple
- Johnnie’s Wax Museum
- Himalayan Bird Park
- Andrews Church
- Viceregal Lodge
- Manorville Mansion
- Rothney Castle
- Prospect Hill
- Honey Hut
- Café Hide Out
- The Rasoi
- Indian Coffee House
- Café Sol
- 1871 the Cookhouse and Bar
- Café Simla Times
- 45 Central Perk
- The Dragon Villa
- Sichuan Palate
- Café Park
The Scandal Point Ridge is the right place to rest and have something after those kilometres of walking on the Mall Road. The place is bustling with restaurants, cafes, food joints and viewing points. An open area where you get a chance to truly fathom the splendour of this cute little hill capital in the state of Himachal Pradesh.