- Famous For: Nature lovers, Photography, Travel, Adventure lovers.
- Entrance Fee: No such entrance fee is charged for tourists.
- Visiting Time: 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. all days of the week.
- Visit Duration: For taking a complete trip all around the sanctuary, you will need around 2-3 hours.
Shimla has always been a very popular destination for both domestic and foreign travellers. The scenic beauty of this place coupled with mountains is ideal for a relaxed vacation. If you are in Shimla, a visit to the Daranghati Sanctuary is a must. It caters to the needs of all types of travellers. The place is endowed with both flora and fauna. Animals in the area include barking deer, musk deer, red fox, leopard, brown bears and much more. Covering an area of 167 square kilometres, the sanctuary has a variety of trees including cedar, pine, and species of oak, almond and cherry.
- The most important tip is to wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Exploring the place is quite time consuming and bad shoes can spoil your trip. Make sure that you can walk around comfortably in whatever you are wearing.
- To avoid the dust, you can carry a scarf. The scarf will also come in handy in case the sun is too blazing hot for you.
- Make it a point to carry water bottles. The journey can be tiresome and you would never want to dehydrate yourself.
- Do not carry plastics or food. Littering the place will destroy the natural beauty of the place. Also, never try to disturb the animals by trying to feed them.
- For the little extra something, you can carry a hat or your pair of binoculars for the little ones in the group.
Things to Do
- Daranghati Sanctuary in upper Shimla is the best place for adventure lovers. They can opt to trek along the old silk route or even from Daranghati to Sarahan.
- Photographers find this the ideal place to explore more of what they love. The flora and fauna of this place is mind boggling.
- You can also spend quality time with your family and friends in any of the accommodation facilities that are available. There are rest houses that allow a safe and serene stay here. Nature lovers should not dare to miss out on this opportunity.
- Apart from trekking, you can also go camping inside the premises of the sanctuary with prior permission from officials.
Availability of Guides
No guides are available at the Daranghati Sanctuary but the staff in the office will help you in case of any emergency or help.
Best Time to Visit
The months of winter can be very hilly and the temperature can fall as low as -2 degree. The best time to visit Shimla will be in the months of May to November. The weather is very pleasant and you can have a great time in the sanctuary.
How to Reach
You can reach this sanctuary very conveniently by road, railways or by air. The nearest airport is the Jubbarhatti airport and all major cities are well connected. You can also take advantage of the railway services. Bus services are available from all major cities and in Shimla there are deluxe and air-conditioned coaches too.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Daranghati Sanctuary
- Prior to being declared a sanctuary in March 1962, the Daranghati Sanctuary was the hunting area for the royal family of Rampur Bushahr.
- The Daranghati Sanctuary is consisted of two parts namely Daranghati I and Daranghati II. Both parts are not connected. They are separated by the Dhauladhar hills.
- During the winter months, the weather gets pretty rough and there is severe snowfall.
- Jujurana or the King of Birds is what attracts tourists from all parts of India and also the world. It is a very rare species and if you are lucky, you will get a glance of it in here.
- There are a number of wooden temples that have been popular in all of Himachal Pradesh. In the sanctuary area, you will find some too.
- Indira Tourist Park
- Christ church
- State museum
- Chadwick Falls
- Jallori pass
- Jakhoo Temple
- Loveena Restaurant
- Embassy Restaurant
- Rampur Bsr
- Snow View Sarahan