Udaipur’s unmatched beauty has a fair number of things adding to the city being known as the Venice of the east, and with so many amazing sights to behold, Saheliyon ki Bari is also one of them. The sprawling garden not only has ample natural beauty, but fountains, a museum, and marble elephants are also some of the things that demand a visitor’s attention. The garden rests on the banks of Fateh Sagar lake, and was built by the king, Maharana Sangram Singh during 18th Century. The splendid architecture of this garden makes it one of the most popular tourist spots of Udaipur, and if you don’t have enough reasons to visit it yet, here are some more.
- Legend says that Maharana Sangram Singh built the garden as a gift to his wife, the queen. The name Saheliyon Ki Bari is translated as ‘Garden of maids’.
- As part of the queen’s dowry, forty-eight young women accompanied her to Udaipur, and the Maharana had the garden built to give his queen a retreat from all the political chaos in court.
- Royal women took to this garden when they wished to relax, which is how the garden derives its name.
- Later on, in the coming years, Maharana Bhupal Singh, the great grandson of Maharana Sagram Singh, had a pavilion of rain fountains built in the premise of the garden, which made it more beautiful spot.
- The fountains that are all across the main reservoir of the garden, were imported from England.
- Sculpted birds mounted on top of the marble kiosks spurt water from their beaks, and that produces a rain effect. It is said that Maharana Bhupal Singh quite enjoyed the fountains and lotus pools in the garden.
- Royal households of Udaipur’s Mewar dynasty are presented in the museum, which includes ancient pictures and artefacts.
- After the interesting additions by Maharana Bhupal Singh, the garden became quite the favourite of the royal family, and now it stands as a famous tourist location in Udaipur.
Things to Do
- A leisurely stroll through the garden is the first thing a tourist would do given how many amazing sculptures and fountains one gets to see.
- Each fountain has a distinct quality about it, and observing them makes the experience all the more pleasurable.
- The museum contains not only pictures and artefacts but also a collection of stuffed animals that should be taken a look at.
- The effect of rain created through the fountains will make a visitor spend ample amount of time at the garden for some tranquillity.
- The lotus pond is possibly the main attraction of Saheliyon ki Bari, given the beautifully sculpted elephants and the mesmerizing charm of the lotus leaves.
- One should surely take a look at the marble seat that the Maharanas and his queen sat on to observe the pretty fountains under the lush green trees lining the premise of the entire garden.
- A simple stroll and spending some time on the velvety lawns of the garden will go a long way in relaxing the mind and body of a visitor.
Things to Carry
- Water and snacks can be taken into the garden if you plan to spend a long time there.
- Wearing flat and comfortable shoes is a must, given that the streets of the garden are often wet and moist due to the fountains.
- Cameras are also allowed.
8am to 8pm daily
Indians (adult and child)- Rs.10
Foreign visitors- Rs.50
Best Time to Visit
September to April
How to Reach
Saheliyon Ki Bari is prominently located near Fateh Sagar lake and can be accessed by road.
- Fateh Sagar lake, on the banks of which Saheliyon Ki Bari is perched upon, is a popular tourist location.
- Lake Pichola is located quite close by and has a few islands that are quite attractive as well.
- The monuments and palaces of the royal families of Udaipur are located nearby and can be accessed easily on foot or through a vehicle.
- The popular handicraft point of Udaipur known as Shilpgram can be found nearby.
- The celebration mall is a famous shopping mall of Udaipur and has known to have attracted locals as well as tourists.
- The Maharana Pratap memorial pays tribute to the great Maharana of Udaipur, and is situated in Moti Magri on the banks of the Fateh Sagar lake.
Saheliyon Ki Bari is one of the many locations that a tourist adds to their list of places to see in Udaipur, and since the garden is home to such brilliant architecture and natural beauty, it is a sight that should not be overlooked when visiting Udaipur.