- Famous For: Tourism and Photography
- Entrance Fee: There is no entry fee to the pykara falls or river but boating would cost round 175 INR per person.
- Visiting Time: This is open on all days from 8:30AM to 5PM.
- Visit Duration: People spend approximately 2 hours over here including the queue at the ticket counter for boating.
Ooty is one famous hill station in the Southern India. Nilgiri hills being a biodiversity rich spot have always attracted tourist to this destination. Pykara River and the lake is another such beauty which Ooty portrays. Boating in the backdrop of a beautiful waterfall would surely make your experience a unique one.
- While boating, opt for the speed boats and not the 8 seater motor boats. This would be more comfortable for you.
- If you are fit enough for walking down, don’t wait for the battery-operated cars, since there are just 2 of them. However, if you have small children or old people along with you make sure to get the car for them for their comfort and safety.
- If at all you are dying out of hunger you might have some food in the shops available there. Otherwise if you come down to a lower height you have better restaurants available.
Things to Do
- Boating would be your top choice once you reach this place. Get along with your family and spend some quality time in this mesmerizing experience.
- A few photography, without which your tour would be incomplete, a special one with the boating and the waterfall all in one frame.
- After you are done with this, just nearby is the Ooty toy train is waiting for you to give you another whole new thrilling experience.
Best Time to Visit
The winter months (November to February) get chilly. The temperature falls sharply but if you enjoy the cold, it will make up for a great vacation.
During the months of March to May, the temperature is a little higher with occasional rainfall. Sight-seeing is best during this time of the year. The river would with be gurgling with the water which you might miss out if you visit during the month of November or so.
The monsoon witness’s heavy rainfall and most tourists try avoiding this time. If you are looking to spend some quiet time, rainy season is the best. The atmosphere is wonderful with fresh air and greenery all around.
How to Reach
The nearest airport to ooty is the Coimbatore domestic airport which is at a distance of about 88 kilometres. The Bangalore airport which is 295 kilometres from Ooty, will be better connected with all other cities. You can take buses from Coimbatore and Bangalore to reach Ooty or even cabs for the same. The Pykara waterfalls is 24 kilometres from the main city bus stand. The transportation facilities are smooth and you will face no problem at all.
If you are travelling by train, the closest railway station would be Mettupalyam, 40 kilometres from Ooty. It takes a little longer from here but the journey is beautiful.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Pyakara Lake
- Pyakara river forms an important part of the hydroelectric power project.
- The Todas Consider the Pykara river to be a very sacred one.
- Many tamil movie songs have been shot with the backdrop of this falls.
- Before Pykara river transforms into falls it actually descends from two different heights 55m and 61m.
- Pyakara Lease Manasiyamman Temple
- Mukurthi National Park
- Toy train
- Ooty botanical garden
- Doddapetta peak
- Mudumalai wild life sanctuary
- Foodies Restaurant
- Hotel Grand View, Gudalur
- Amma’s Kitchen
- Cliff top international cuisine
- Hyderabadi Biryani House
Ooty is waiting for you and Nilgiri is calling you. Pack your bags soon to reach there this summer. Prepare a list of all the best spots and be sure to keep this one on your priority list too. Happy summer!