- Famous For: Scenery, Serenity, Beauty
- Entrance Fee: 150 per head and Rs.1200 for a group of 8 people
- Visiting Time: 8 AM to 3 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
The Avalanche Lake is a picturesque location situated at about 25 kilometers from Ooty in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu. It is so named as it was formed naturally due to a landslide back in 1823. The stunning spot, with its blue, clear water and lush greenery all around it is a treat from the busy way of city life. The hillside with its undulating landscape, along with the colorful flowers which decorate the premises, have got to be definitely witnessed indeed. The almost untouched habitat maintained by the tribal people along with the government is a must visit for any nature lover. With a lot of activities to carry out and a totally tranquil ambience to be felt, make it a point to visit this remote gem of a place if you have plans of visiting the Ooty region.
- It is always better not to visit during the afternoons as the overhead sun can tire you out easily.
- As it is a reserved area, get permission from the required officials beforehand.
- Food and water will not be available in the premises and is advised to be carried by visitors themselves.
Things to Do
- Get into the adventure spirit by trekking through the nearby Upper Bhavani region which is a pristine and thick forest area.
- View the amazing collection of flowers which are present around the premises like the species of orchids and magnolias.
- The stunning location serves as the perfect backdrop to carry out some amazing photography.
- This is an area where trout fishing can be carried out, with the required supplies for the activity being provided by the trout hatchery present quite near the lake.
- Camping at this gorgeous place, is something which can be tried out.
- This spot makes a perfect picnic location for large groups of friends and families alike.
- Try out the eateries in and around the Ooty area to get a taste of the local cuisines.
Availability of Guides
Since this is basically a picnic spot to relax and unwind at, there is no need for a guide. The locals will direct you to the spot and help with the transportation.
Best Time to Visit
Ooty being a hill station is best visited during the winters. To witness the lake in its full glory and carry out trout fishing, the best season to visit would be during the monsoon months of August to October. During these months, the rainfall leads to more water within the waterfalls and thus, causing a rise in the level of water in the lake. The months of March and April see full blooming of the flowers in the region, thus providing quite a heavenly sight for visitors.
How to Reach
This location is present at about 25 kilometers from Ooty. The nearest airport to Ooty is in Coimbatore at about 90 kilometers away. The closest railway station is present in the town of Mettupalayam, which is around 40 kilometers from Ooty. There are great bus services to the region as it is a major tourist attraction. Private cabs and buses can be taken from Ooty up to the checkpoint before the Lake. Only forest vehicles are allowed within the sanctuary, and visitors will have to leave their vehicles at the checkpoint which is about 3 kilometers from the Lake and enter the buses or jeeps provided by the department.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Avalanche Lake
- There is a hydro power plant as well as the Bhavani temple on the way towards the Lake from the checkpoint.
- Some accommodation is provided by the Forest Department for visitors wanting to stay within the premises.
- Sometimes, rare wildlife sightings like that of bears and elephants can be witnessed around the area.
- Horse riding and rappelling are sometimes carried out for visitors around the region.
There are no eateries available in this protected area.
- Emerald Lake
- Annamalai Temple
- Tribal Research Center
The pristine and fantabulous view of Avalanche Lake is such that is not found anywhere else in the country. The intoxicating aura of the ravishing view and the aesthetic surroundings attract tourists to come visit the location time and again.