- Famous For: Vast collection of items, history, heritage.
- Entrance Fee: INR 20 per adult and INR 5 per child
- Visiting Time: 10 am TO 5:30 pm
- Visiting Duration: Around an hour.
The vast collection of items from an even vast list of categories, makes Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum a must-visit destination in Pune. From sculptures to paintings and even musical instruments, this museum has a good appetite for your hunger of art and history.
- There are different sections in the museum which must be covered separately and thoroughly to have a better picture of art and its history.
- The various sections are:
- Indian paintings
- Gujarat gallery
- Vanita kaksha
- Musical instruments
- Ivory objects
- Mastani mahal
Things to Do
You can learn different facts about history and Maratha culture and can also clear some of the misconceptions which have been everywhere on the internet.
Best Time to Visit
Since the museum has nothing to do with the outer weather conditions and it is accessible throughout the year, so there is no problem in visiting the museum during the period you choose according to your convenience. But just for the guidance, Pune is lovely all throughout the year but the best season to visit Pune is rainy season.
How to Reach
The railway station in Pune connects to different cities. So, coming to Pune is no big deal. After reaching the station you can hire a cab because this is the easiest mode of transportation here. Pune airport is just 10 km away from the city. You can land here and then hire a taxi to the museum.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum
- Dr Dinkar Kelkar started making his own collection in 1920 and by 1960, he was done with over 15,000 artifacts that could be put on display.
- Dr Dinkar Kelkar has even won the Paul Harris fellowship for his humongous task.
- Many schools take their students to this museum every year and are asked to undertake ideas and project which are behind the pride of this museum.
- Agha Khan Palace
- Shaniwar Wada
- Saras Baug
- Parvati Hill
- Bund Garden
- Vishrambaug Wada
- Dagadusheth Halwai Ganpati Temple
- Sinhagad Fort
- Iskcon Temple
- Sri Balaji Mandir
- Malshej Ghats
- Bapat Veg Uphar Gruh
- Wadeshwar Bhuvan
- Kalandar Missal
- Tuljai Biryani
- Good Food Kitchen
- Bake ‘N’ Cake
- Sujata Mastani
- Chitale Bandhu Mithaiwale
- Gaurav Biryani House
- Kaware Cold Drinks
The museum is a store house of knowledge and information. There is many things which you can learn from the museum. The vast collection of different artifacts makes it a worthier place. Knowing about people and culture is one thing which every one of us must at least try and for giving it the best shot, this is the best place you can opt for.