- Famous For: Botanical Garden, Sight-seeing, Nature lovers, Photography
- Entrance Fee: 15 for adults and Rs. 10 for children below 10 years of age. Monthly pass available for Rs. 150.
- Visiting Time: 6 AM to 8 AM for monthly pass holders, 10 AM to 7:30 PM for visitors.
- Visit Duration: 1 to 2 hours
Semmozhi Poonga is one of the most visited botanical gardens in all of Chennai. The beautiful landscaping at the garden has not only made it a delight for the daily morning walkers but has also attracted film makers and tourists. A huge parking lot, a canteen that serves delicious refreshments, and a beautiful artificial pond with ducks that are the children’s favorite, Semmozhi Poonga has become a must visit destination in the city.
- Plastics and eatables are not allowed inside Semmozhi Poonga to protect the plants in the area, so make sure you do not carry them.
- When in this park, you will be surrounded by plants brought in from around the world. Please take due care to not damage anything.
- Bring your sunglasses and use a lot of sunscreen to counter the hot sun in the city.
Things to Do
- Take a walk in the garden and be awe inspired at the beauty nature and man can create.
- Watch the stunning array of water fountains in the garden.
- Learn more about the exotic plant species kept here from around the world.
Availability of Guides
A trip to Semmozhi Poonga can be a guided tour if you book a city tour with most travel agencies in the city. You can also visit the place without a guide if your goal is to find relaxation and tranquility in the place.
Best Time to Visit
Visit Chennai during the months of November to February. Not only these months will provide you with a cooler temperature of around 20 to 25 degrees Celsius, but also welcome you with cool sea breezes in this otherwise hot city.
How to Reach
Semmozhi Poonga is situated on the Cathedral Road- Anna Salai junction in Teynampet. As the garden is situated in the middle of the city, you can easily reach here by hiring a taxi or boarding a bus from any part of Chennai.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Semmozhi Poonga
- Semmozhi Poonga was built on the land that once belonged to the city’s first drive-in restaurant, The Woodlands Restaurant. After a court battle, the land was granted to the government of Tamil Nadu who chose to convert it into Chennai’s first botanical garden.
- The garden includes plants imported from the around the world, including exotic oriental varieties from China and Thailand.
- George’s Cathedral
- The Anna Centenary Library
- Thousand Lights Mosque
- Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam
- Sathtyam Cinema
- Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
- Pondy Bazaar
- Oriental Arts
- Escape Cinemas
- Samata Books
- Express Avenue Mall
- Sri Parthasarathy Temple
- San Thome Church
- Sandwich Square
- Spice Haat
- The Kitchen
- The Rock
- Omar Khayyam Restaurant
- Chit Chat Food Arcade
- Hotel Gandhimitri Chettinad
- Apporva’s Veg Restaurant
- Tango Tapas Bar and Restaurant
If you want peace and relaxation right in the middle of Chennai, Semmozhi Poonga is the place to be. The thousands of trees not only provide beauty, but also a cool ambiance to pass some time by. Do visit the Semmozhi Poonga with your family and friends and have a picnic in this urban paradise.