- Famous For: Tourism, Experience seekers, Art and Architecture.
- Entrance Fee: Entry fee for adults is 15 INR and for children is 10 INR. The fee is very nominal.
- Visiting Time: National Art Museum is open on all days except Fridays and other National holidays. The timings are from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Visit Duration: Approximately 1 to 2 hours.
The National Art Gallery in Chennai is claimed to be one of the most famous ones in the country and tourists never miss out on this historic spot. It is the house of paintings that are dated back in the 18th and 17th century. Spend some time off to take a closer look at the paintings.
- Do not forget to carry your camera. Take lots of pictures so you can store them as memories for a lifetime.
- Try visiting early so that you can go around in peace taking your time to see the displayed paintings.
- There are sculptures and metal statues. Do not touch them or even the paintings. It is strictly prohibited.
- Pets are not allowed inside the museum.
Things to Do
- The area nearby has lots of places to visit and are mentioned below. Make sure to check each of them out.
- If you are planning to go to the beach, you can plan a picnic on the very day.
- Try out delicious South Indian dishes in the restaurants nearby. The food is to die for and is a heaven for food lovers.
Availability of Guides
The museum has boards and signs that give you detailed information about the various items on display. You would not need any external guidance. If you are willing to know the vivid details, you can read various blog posts or articles that are available on the internet. Another way to get information is by asking the officials in the museum. They can tell you more about the history of the place and much more.
How to Reach
Reaching the National Art Gallery is very convenient from any spot. The Chennai Central Train station is the nearest railway access and is just at a distance of 2 kilometres. The best is to take an auto or travel by bus.
If you are meaning to travel by air, the nearest is the Chennai International Airport. The distance is 12 kilometres and can be easily covered by bus or taxi. You can book a cab for a pleasant journey.
Best Time to Visit
Chennai is hot and humid all year round. Thus, the summer temperatures can be a barrier when you plan a day out or sight-seeing. The heat and the sun is usually not the best combination. November to March can be a very pleasant time to take a trip. The cool breeze and amazing evenings will give you the absolute perfect vacation.
Try avoiding the extreme summer months or monsoon.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About National Art Museum
- The National Art Museum in Chennai was established in the year 1906.
- This museum is built in the Indo-Sarsenic style using chiefly red sandstones.
- Paintings from Mughal and Tanjore periods are displayed in here. Raja Ravi Verma, a renowned Indian painter has his works displayed in the museum.
- The museum was formerly called Victoria Memorial Hall.
- The museum includes the Tanjore Painting Gallery, Decorative Art Gallery, Ravi Verma Painting Gallery and the Indian Traditional Art Gallery.
- There are also images of Lord Rama and Sita.
- Marina Beach
- Covelong Beach
- Government Museum
- Valluvar Kottam
- Parathasarathy Temple
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple
- Elliot’s Beach
- Crocodile Park
- Arignar Anna Zoological Garden
- City Square
- House of Dosa
- The pasta bar Veneto
- Arabian Bite
- Café Coffee Day
- Geetham Tiffin Centre
If you are planning to visit Chennai anytime soon, make a list of the places you need to visit and put the National Art Gallery at the top of it. Said to be one of the oldest in the country, it is needless to say that you will have a great time here.