- Famous For: Serenity, Nature, Birds
- Entrance Fee: No fee for this public place
- Visiting Time: 6 AM to 6 PM
- Visit Duration: 1 hours to 2 hours
A scenic spot located at the border of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, the Pulicat Lake is perfect to enjoy within the arms of nature. Spread over an area of about 600 square kilometers, this is a major reserve which functions as a bird sanctuary and is the epitome of serenity. Separated from the Bay of Bengal by the island of Sriharikota, this is located at about sixty kilometers north of Chennai. The multitude of birds like kingfishers, storks and flamingoes which adorn the landscape make it a haven for bird watchers and ornithologists. The buildings from the era when the Dutch ruled over this town also add an exquisite touch to the region. With plenty of sightseeing to do, and water activities to enjoy carrying out, this is the perfect weekend getaway to visit.
- There will be high security around certain areas of the Sriharikota Island.
- Take proper precautions while boating and wear life jackets at all times.
Things to Do
- Get the adrenaline pumping by going on a trek through parts of the region.
- Boating villages which surround the lake, offer great boating options with fishermen always being ready to take you out into the waters in traditional boats.
- There are a lot of aquatic sport activities to be carried out near the lake.
- There is a boat jetty to be visited at the other side of Buckingham Canal which is situated towards the northern side of the lake.
- The sunsets and sunrises in this spot are breathtaking and have got to be experienced indeed.
- Photograph some amazing shots in the great background with its blue waters and green surroundings.
- Bird photography is carried out extensively by bird watchers who visit this location in large numbers.
- Taste some amazing authentic food in the premises with coastal dishes being served at all the eateries present around the area.
- Visit the Dutch Fort and the Dutch cemetery which are remnants of the rich past of the region when it was ruled over by the Dutch.
Availability of Guides
The visit is enhanced with the help of a guide who will point out the various bird and aquatic species. They will also point out the best places to visit for a completely satisfying trip.
Best Time to Visit
This is a spot which can be visited at any time of the year. It has got a tropical climate as it is basically a coastal town. The summer months do experience a lot of humidity. Thus, the best time to visit would be during the winter months of October to March. This is also the time when the migratory birds make a visit to the lake and can be witnessed in huge numbers within the bird sanctuary.
How to Reach
Present at the border of the two adjoining states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, this is a widely famous tourist spot. The nearest airport is the Chennai International Airport, located about 90 kilometers away. The closest railway station which is the Sullurpet Railway Station is just 10 kilometers away. By road, the location can be reached by taking the road to Nellore from Chennai. Buses are available in plenty on the route to Pulicat and can be boarded from the Periyamet Bus Stop in Chennai.
Interesting Facts And Trivia About The Pulicat Lake
- Flamingos are one of the bird species for which visitors from all over the world come for. They can be found located nearer the shallower end of the lake.
- The township has got a varied history, with it being influenced by the traditions and culture of the Arabs, Portuguese and the Dutch.
- The Satish Dhawan Space Center located on the Sriharikota island is a major location from where launches are carried out by the Indian Space Research Organization.
- The Pulicat Lake is the second largest saltwater lake in the country after the Chillika lake.
- In between the end of December and the start of January an annual Flamingo Festival is conducted.
- Dutch Fort
- Old Dutch Cemetery
- Satish Dhawan Space Center
- Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- Buckingham Canal
- There are plenty of small eateries to try out authentic food nearby.
The dainty township has got the best locations in order to make the trip to the Pulicat Lake really worthwhile. All this makes this place a must visit in Chennai.