- Famous for: Tourism, Religious destination, ancient beliefs, historical.
- Entrance Fee: It’s a Shrine which is open to all devotees and needs no entrance fees.
- Visiting Time: It is open on all days from 6:00 a.m. to 20:00 p.m.
- Visit Duration: People can spend up to 45 minutes to 1 hours of time over here.
Things to Do
- People of all age group can sit inside and do prayers. Or just sit down to experience the peace of the place.
- Visit the historically famous cave which is located there.
- Thomas Fountain.
Best Time to Visit
Chennai has a pleasant weather round the year. The scorching months of May and June can be avoided for your convenience. Months of December, January and February having comparatively stable weather, sees a rise in tourists crowds. This being a catholic church would be a great destination during the Christmas. So, adding up 25th December to your plan would be a wise idea.
However, if someone wants to attend the annual feast held in this place then they should plan a visit on Good Friday.
How to Reach
The Chennai International Airport is at a distance of about 10.5 kilometres from the Shrine and would take about 21 minutes to reach the Shrine from there by cab. If you are planning to travel by train, then it would be at a distance of 11.6 Kilometres taking nearly 22 minutes to reach the Shrine. One can also board a bus at the city bus stand and take a bus to this place.
Interesting Facts Tourists Would Be Surprised to Know
- It is said that St.Thomas, who was one of the 12 apostles of Lord Jesus was hiding in a cave here 2000 years ago.
- The cave is said to have human footprints.
- This church has its origin around the year 68 AD.
- Madras War Cemetery
- Guindy Snake Park
- Elliot Beach
- Jagannath Temple, Kanathur
- Shirdi Sai baba Temple
- Viswaroopa adhivyadhihara sri bhaktha anjaneswami temple
- Ottimo Cucina Italiana
- Wang’s Kitchen
- A2B Restaurant
- House #22 Cafe
These are some of the notable ones. There are many other restaurants available within the near about locality.
Chennai is like box of assorted chocolates that has varieties to offer. Starting from the longest Marina beach, National Park, the variety of temples and then a few of the famous Catholic Church in southern India every destination has its own essence. As a traveller tip I would like to suggest that it’s better if you take some time and visit this city. In case you drop in for a short time, make sure you keep this church in your “Must Visit” list.