Mount Abu has the reputation of being one of the most beautiful tourist destinations and hill stations in India, with good measure of having some gems stored in its box of attractions. One of these amazing gems is Nakki Lake, which is not only regarded as a majorly appealing part of Mount Abu, but also has an intriguing history behind it. With sacred attributions to this beautiful lake of Mount Abu, which the travellers of India have taken a strong liking to, Nakki Lake has a lot of factors that come into play when its termed as a tourist attraction. Here are some things to know about it before your next trip to Abu.
- Nakki Lake has interesting stories behind it, two legends that have been recorded over time, though however differently the legends begin as, they end with one conclusion, that of how the name of the lake was derived.
- The first legend says that the Gods of Hindu mythology dug this lake with their nails in order to protect themselves from a demon known as Bashkali. ‘Nakh’ means nail in Hindi, which is where the name Nakki comes from.
- The second legend goes along as a King, who ordered that whoever would dig a lake through his nails will be able to marry the King’s daughter. The man who dug the lake, ‘Rasiya Balam’ was in love with the King’s daughter Kunwari Kanya, who shared his affection, but the King’s wife declared that the two lovers could not be married. As a symbol of their love, a temple of Kunwari Kanya and Rasiya Balam is built behind the famous Dilwara Temple.
- According to the local mythology, it is said Rasiya Balam and Kunwari Kanya were incarnations of the Hindu gods Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati to present the unfulfilled love shared between them.
- The ashes of Mahatma Gandhi had been immersed in Nakki Lake on February 12th, 1948. Post this the Gandhi Ghat was also built in his honour.
- Apart from having a rich mythological history, Nakki Lake is also quite picturesque a surrounding.
- It is the first known man-made Lake in India sitting on a height of 11,000 metres in Mount Abu.
- The hill station of Mount Abu being a romantic location in itself, Nakki Lake also holds great importance as a place for lovers since it symbolises eternal love.
- In the background of Nakki Lake is the interesting Toad Rock, which gives the impression of a toad about to jump into the lake.
Things to Do/See
- Boating is a popular tourist activity at Nakki Lake, and since it is surrounded by lush greenery and a great view of mountains, people enjoy it to the fullest.
- Aqua zorbing is adored by kids and it is quite fun to indulge in apart from other enjoyable things to do at the banks of the lake.
- Nakki Lake’s banks are filled with coffee shops, ice cream stalls and fun activities for children to do, giving it a rather interesting allure.
- Visiting Nakki Lake at evening is loved by couples as they can get to take a nice walk along the banks while getting a great view.
- Most tourists like visiting Mount Abu during the summer as it is quite pleasant at the time.
- Nakki Lake has a bunch of activities to indulge in, so if you decide to spend a long time there, wearing comfortable clothes and shoes is important.
- Photography is great at Nakki Lake because of the amazing view it provides to the travellers.
- Tickets for boating can be easily obtained at the banks of the lake along with those of zorbing and other activities.
Best Time to Visit
November to April
Pedal boat: Rs.50 for 30 minutes
Shikara boat: Rs.100 for 30 minutes
9.30 am to 6 pm
How to Reach
Nakki Lake can be reached on foot or public transport as it is in the middle of the town.
Nearby Places of Interest
- Toad Rock
- Trevor’s Tank
- Dilwara Temple
- Achalgarh Fort
- Adhar Devi Temple
- Guru Shikhar Peak
With the number of amazing activities to indulge in at Nakki Lake, it is truly one of the most popular tourist destinations in Mount Abu, prominent even among the many other great things to do at the hill station.