- Famous for: Architecture, Photography, Natural and historical significance.
- Entrance fee: No entry fee for either Indian or foreign nationals.
- Visiting time: Sunrise to sunset.
- Visit duration: Typically, an hour or less.
Achaleshwar Mahadev Temple in Rajasthan, India is a very ancient temple, in existence circa the 9th century, and is dedicated to the worship of the Hindu God Shiva. It is located just outside the premises of the Achaleshwar Fort, and it is widely believed that the architectural plan included it within. Popular myth has it that the temple was built surrounding a giant toe-print of the Lord Shiva, and there are statues of bulls (the carrier of Lord Shiva), filigree work and actual Shiva-lingas inside the temple. It had suffered heavily because of lack of adequate maintenance, but revival work has been underway and has done a lot of improvement. This temple can be visited from the only peak here, Mount Abu.
- Since the location is Rajasthan, which remains fairly hot the year round, choose a time that would provide a comfortable visit.
- Take care you don’t carry pets– they are not allowed inside the temple.
- Wear light, airy clothes and comfy shoes.
- Make sure to click pictures of the beautiful sights outside and within.
Things to Do
- Make sure to explore the beauty of Mount Abu– after all, it is the only peak in the area, and has spots like Sunset point!
- Also, make sure to shop locally– the markets nearby are awesome!
- Make it a point to learn of the rich, interesting history behind the temple.
- If you are a religious person, there are a lot of temples and pilgrimage sites nearby you could go to.
Availability of Guides
There are a lot of tour programs that carry paid guides along with them, who tell tourists local things in either English or a vernacular language. There are sometimes guides also available locally for hire, whom you have to pay. And in the best cases, some natives volunteer to help tourists free of charge.
Best Time to Visit
Rajasthan is a hot and rather humid place for most of summer, and since this temple is located in Rajasthan, winters are probably the best time for a visit, from November to around March. Monsoon rains sometimes hamper tourism, but as the temple is located on the hills of Mt Abu, it wouldn’t be too hot or uncomfortable even in summer.
How To Reach
You have to descend at Abu Railway station, the nearest railway station to this temple, then you can take a bus, taxi, auto etc to reach the heart of town and hotels, from where you can further take taxis, buses or cars to reach this temple. Sometimes there are vehicles that help you climb the steep mountain
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Achaleshwar Temple
- The etymology of the words spring from “Achal” for immovable, “Ishwar’’ for God and Mahadev, another name for Lord Shiva.
- The shivalinga here is three different colours in the course of an entire day, saffron, white and red.
- The exact underground expanse of this statue is yet to be calculated.
- People say a certain sort of wish is granted here very often, the plea for unmarried people to find a soul mate.
- The Luna Vasahi Temple, near Mount Abu, that is a hotspot for religious people, a temple dedicated to Lord Neminath, with architecture likes the old durbaars of kings.
- Dilwara Temples, also near Mount Abu, which has exquisite Buddhist architecture in greyish colour on its walls, and offers the promise of salvation.
- Sunset point in Mount Abu, one of the most famous tourism and honeymoon spots, one that offers great views of the sunset and natural beauty.
- The Kanya Kumari Mandir.
- The Cafe Shikibo, which has been awarded a certificate of excellence.
- Mayur Restaurant for tasty Asian food.
- On the Rocks Bar and Cafe, that provides quality veg and non-veg food, and decent drinks as well.
- Jodhpur Bhojanalaya- this has received the distinction time and again of being the best provider of Rajasthani food locally.
Head over to Achaleshwar Temple in Sirohi, Rajasthan for your next vacation, and you will have your hands full enjoying local history, natural beauty, splendid architecture and select shopping options. Book your dates and let the planning begin today!