- Famous for: History, Photography, Architecture.
- Entry Fee: No entry fee needed.
- Visiting Time: 8 am to 7 pm (Daily).
- Visiting Duration: 1-2 hours.
Jaisalmer is known as the land of the Sonar Kella or the Golden Fort. As the name suggests, the buildings and carvings adorned inside the Fort of Jaisalmer are mostly built out of yellow sandstone. Thus, when the shimmering sunlight falls on these structures, a golden light is radiated all around that gives an impression that every structure is made of pure gold, and, thus, the name, Sonar Kella. In the heart of this very fort is situated the house of the renowned Prime Minister of the kingdom of Jaisalmer, Diwan Mohata Nathmal. Nathmal Ji Ki Haveli of his is a resemblance of intricate architecture and is, thus, famous as a tourist destination.
- It is advised to carry a water bottle and a sunscreen to protect yourself from the heat.
- Dress according to the temperature and the season you are visiting.
- Beware of misinformed guides around the place asking for money.
Things to Do
- Learn about the history of the place through guide books or through locals.
- Visit the interior of the haveli to take a look at the ornate architecture.
- Take a look at the beautiful paintings hanging on the walls.
Availability of Guides
A few professional guides are at Nathmal Ji Ki Haveli and can be hired for a nominal fee. It is better to consult the State Tourism Board in Jaisalmer to get a guide or you can even avail private guides for the whole duration if you are travelling through a tour agency or package.
The tourists should visit the place during winters, that is, between the months of November to February as the summers are extremely hot in Jaisalmer because of the presence of Thar desert.
How to Reach the Place
Nathmal Ji Ki Haveli is in the heart of Jaisalmer. It can be reached easily by walking or by taking an auto rickshaw.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Nathmal Ji Ki Haveli
- The construction of this building is associated with an interesting legend of how the two brothers, Hathi and Lulu, had begun constructing the haveli from two different sides to finally make it meet at all ends.
- The haveli is a confluence of the Rajput and the Islamic styles of architecture.
- The paintings on the interior of the haveli are grand. Surprisingly, there are depictions of modern amenities like cars and fans which the two brothers had painting despite having never seen them.
- At the entrance to the haveli, there are two majestic lions kept on two sides of the staircase. These lions have been intricately carved out of yellow sandstone and, thus, shine like gold when the sunlight falls upon them.
- The family now sells paintings and other memoirs to the tourists visiting the haveli.
- This has been the location of many Bollywood movies.
- Fort of Jaisalmer
- Bada Bagh
- Kuldhara – the abandoned village
- Khaba Fort
- Patwon Ki Haveliyan
- Tanot Rai Mata Mandir
- Desert Cultural Centre
- Folklore Museum
- Khudi Desert
- Sam Desert
- Tilon Ki Pol Gadisar Lake
- Pleasant Haveli – Roof Top Restaurant
- Gaji’s Restaurant
- Hotel Tokyo Palace Roof Top Restaurant
- The Jaisal Treat
- Abu Safari Restaurant
- The Traveller’s Cup Premium Coffee Shop
- Jaisalmer Oasis Restaurant
- Shahi Palace Roof Top Restaurant
A visit here will fill you with new vigour and will give you lasting memories in your trip to Jaisalmer. Feel like royalty and experience grandeur in this architectural marvel as every stone that has been used to build these ornate structures narrate a story of their own. Thus, a visit to Nathmal Ji Ki Haveli is recommended for all tourists who want to enjoy the splendour of Rajputana.