- Famous for: Art, collection, history.
- Entrance fee: 10 for Indians, Rs. 20 for foreign tourists.
- Visiting time: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (closed on Sundays).
- Visit duration: 1-2 Hours.
Sadul Singh Museum in Bikaner, Rajasthan is one of the main tourism highlights in a place renowned for its warrior heritage, and it remains true to that lineage. It is situated enclosed by the Lalgarh Palace and is built in memoriam of kings of royal dynasties of Bikaner like Sadul Singh, Ganga Singh and Karni Singh. Sadul Singh had also been a lieutenant. There are separate and ornate sections inside the museum that houses the landmark achievements and articles of each of these kings. There are also collections of Georgian era art in the form of paintings, sculptures and art items. There are still parts in the palace inside which the royal dynasty lives to this day.
- Rajasthan is warm and humid, so plan your tour time accordingly.
- Carry water with you and preferably wear light, comfy clothes.
- Make sure to do some photography of the beautiful articles inside.
- Learn of the important history behind the place and the art.
Things to Do
- Shop at the local markets, the selection is artsy and choice.
- Make it a point to keep pollution to a minimum.
- Visit the nearby attractions as well, like Lalgarh Palace and Junagarh Fort.
- You can go camel riding for a fee nearby.
Availability of Guides
Guides are sometimes available locally for hire in English or regional languages or sometimes people or tour companies take them along on the journey. You could ask around locally for interesting and important information too.
Best Time to Visit
Rajasthan remains uncomfortably hot for most of summer, it being located near a desert, although the mountains like Mt Abu are considerably cooler. Monsoon isn’t the best tourism time because rains impede sightseeing, so it would be the best to visit this Museum in the winter, any time between late October and February.
How to Reach
The nearest airport will be the Jodhpur airport, which runs domestic flights, and the nearest railway stations would be Bikaner Junction or Lalgarh Railway station. There are also buses that ply between cities. You can get down at any of these and hire taxis or autos or buses to reach Lalgarh Palace and climb through to the 2nd floor to reach the museum.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Sadul Singh Museum
- There are everyday articles of the royal dynasties’ use here, like clothes and armour.
- It has dome and corridor style architecture, in white construction material.
- There are various transportation vehicles on display that the kings used, like the Baggi (carriage) and even train.
- There are very detailed pictures of the royal families as well.
- The Junagarh Fort.
- Kota Gate for shopping.
- The Lalgarh Palace of which the museum is a part.
- Gajner Palace.
- Jain temple.
- Karni Mata temple for religious purposes.
- The Gallops Restaurant which provides you views of the Junagarh Fort.
- The Hang Around Zone, a family eatery which even boasts of a game room.
- Restaurant Moomal.
- Laxmi Niwas Palace, an ancient heritage site that also boasts of a splendid restaurant.
- The Kings Pavillion restaurant, another eatery that combines delectable food with equally delightful views.
If you want a perfect mixture of history, art and glory while on your trip to Rajasthan, Sadul Singh Museum is the place for you. Make sure to drop by if you want to know the glorious past of the royalty in intimate detail, and also get a dose of Georgian culture. Here you can learn about the way they lived through photos, the way they travelled through the vehicles on display and even the way they fought through the embellished armour. And if you want to enjoy it long after you’re home, be sure to preserve a slice of the visit in photographs you click. Happy touring to you!