- Famous for: Scenery, Serenity, Beauty
- Entrance Fee: There’s no fee for this public spot
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The amazing view point of Pothamedu is situated at about 5 kilometers from Munnar in the state of Kerala. This serene location guarantees an alluring setting which brings us closer to nature. Surrounded by exquisite beauty in the form of lush greenery and the plantations of coffee, tea and cardamom, this point provides a great view of the undulating valleys which surround it. Trekking up to this point and enjoying the amazing backdrop along the way as we reach the destination are great activities to carry out here. This spot is the perfect place for nature lovers and adventure seekers to visit and unwind within the arms of nature. The eateries which have been put up on the way to the view point, are perfect to settle down in the midst of such beauty, and treat yourself to a little self-indulgence.
- The climate can be chilly, so be prepared with some warm clothes.
- Wear comfortable shoes to totally enjoy the experience of trekking and hiking up the hillside.
- Some eateries are available along the way to snack at during the trip to the top.
Things to Do
- Relax in the stunning backdrop with its pleasant climate.
- Use the magnificent location to click some amazing photographs of the place and make some great memories.
- Hiking up the path which has got plethora of ravishing spots all throughout the way is another fun task to carry out here.
- This is also a famous picnic spot which is favored by families and friends.
- Driving up through the road which snakes to the top also adds to the great experience at this place.
- Enjoy the breathtaking sunsets and sunrises which spread their golden glow all over the surrounding area.
- Try out the small eateries on the way which serve various kinds of tea which are perfect to be drunk at that chilly atmosphere.
Availability of Guides
The view point is a spot to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature and so there is no necessity of any kind of guidance.
Best Time to Visit
The hill station has got a mild and appealing climate throughout the year. The monsoon months from June to September experience heavy rains making it an off season for tourists. The summer months provide the perfect ambience to get away from the heat of the rest of the country, while the winter with its chillness is a great time to spend a holiday out here.
How to Reach
The best way to reach Munnar would be by the plenty of bus options which are available from both the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. From Munnar, one can take a cab or an auto rickshaw to the spot which is present just at a distance of about 5 kilometers. The nearest railway station is about 100 kilometers away at Aluva, while the closest well-connected airport is present about 110 kilometers away, which is the Cochin International Airport. After arriving at the railway station or airport, cabs can be booked to the city of Munnar.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About the Pothamedu View Point
- This spot is famous for its scenic beauty and is usually trekked and hiked upon by tourists and locals.
- From this spot, the Idukki Arch Dam which is at a distance of about 60 kilometers is also visible on a clear day.
- The winding roads with cars on it can also be seen from this height.
- The tea, coffee and cardamom plantations are prevalent around this area and make up the lush greenery of the region.
- Even the Muthirapuzha River is visible from this height on days which are not misty.
- This place is favored for enjoying a cup of tea or some hot food in the chilly climate amidst a great scenic background.
- Royal Retreat
- SN Restaurant
- Galaxy Restaurant
- Rapsy Restaurant
- Café Royale-Copper Castle
- Matupetty Dam
- Photo Point
- Kannan Devan Tea Museum
- Tata Tea Museum
The arresting essence of this aesthetic location is one to be visited indeed. Providing the perfect calming retreat from the hustle of daily life, a visit to Pothamedu View Point is the ultimate rejuvenating experience to self-indulge in.