- Famous for: Sightseeing, Picnic Spot, Natural Beauty, Water Reservoir, Photography
- Entrance Fee: Free of charge
- Visiting Time: Open round the clock
- Visit Duration: 1 to 2 hours
Kundala Lake is situated around 20 kilometers away from the beautiful southern hill town of Munnar. The lake presents visitors with exquisite natural beauty as the morning sun swiftly moves up the horizon and the water reflects the light in a million different directions. This lake leads to the Kundala Dam, another site offering breathtaking views of the area. Here at this lake you would find yourself surrounded by fresh air, forests, high hills, and fragrant tea gardens.
- Make sure to carry your camera with you. This lake is one of the most picturesque places in the area and you would not want to miss out on those stunning shots!
- Visit early in the morning to see the lake as the fog softly lifts and the sun light seems like it is dancing on the water.
Things to Do
- Go on a horse ride near the lake.
- Hire a pedal boat and ride with your friends to have a great time in the lake.
- Take a ride on the Kashmiri Shikara available near the lake to have an utterly romantic experience.
- Visit the nearby Arch Dam or the Sethuparvati Dam and learn its interesting history.
- Go on an early morning trip to Echo Point situated nearby.
Availability of Guides
If you book the popular 3-day tour to Munnar, Kundala Lake and Dam, would be some of the places that your guide would take you to. If you are traveling by yourself, you can easily visit here without a guide too as there is not much a guide can tell you about the place.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Kundala Lake is during the monsoons from the months of June to September. At this time, the flowers in the area blossom and the entire place is enveloped by a beautiful green cover of trees.
How to Reach
The Kundala Lake is on the way from the famous Mattupetty Dam to Top Station. You can easily get a taxi from Munnar to visit the lake.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Kundala Lake
- The artificial dam built here near the Kundala Lake, the Sethuparvati Dam, was Asia’s first Arch Dam and was built in 1946.
- Aurivikkad Waterfall, a well-known tourist destination, is situated near the lake.
- Cherry Blossoms flower twice a year in this area and make it appear breathtakingly beautiful to visitors.
- The hills surrounding the lake have Neelakurinji flowers which flower once every 12 years and turn the hills a dazzling color of blue.
- Top Station
- Echo Station and Point
- Mattupetty Dam
- Kannan Devan Tea Museum
- Attukad Waterfalls
- Marayoor Sandalwood
- Blossom Hydel Park
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kolukkumalai Tea Estate
- Elephant Lake
- Lakkam Waterfalls
- Lockhart Gap
- Anamudi Peak
- T and U Leisure Hotel
- KTDC Tea County Restaurant
- Sree Mahaveer Bhojanalaya Restaurant
- Al Buhari
- Saravana Bhavan
- Guru’s Restaurant
- Raspy Restaurant
- Three Rivers
- Maya Bazaar
- Hotel SN
- East-end Munnar Dining
The Kundala Lake in Munnar is a beautiful spot away from the loud cities. This place is wrapped in a scenic calm and isolation that is rarely found elsewhere. Whether you are visiting with your friends, family, or romantic partner, this lake has something for everyone.