- Famous For: Nature, Adventure, Photography.
- Entry Fee: No fee is required.
- Visiting Time: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. preferably daily.
- Visiting Duration: 1 to 2 hours.
Munnar is a quaint hill station in Kerala that has gained popularity because of the ample scenic beauty that makes this place outshine many prolific places throughout the world. The undulating mountainous terrain of the Western Ghats, the cascading waterfalls and the gushing streams accompanied by the varsity of flora and fauna makes Munnar an exotic place where a traveller gets to experience nature at its bounty. One such natural wonder is the Atukkad Falls which is quite a majestic waterfall. It is the star of stars among the sightseeing spots of Munnar and, hence, this waterfall is visited by tourists from all over the world.
- Forget about wearing heels if you do not want to trip down the winding road to the waterfalls.
- Watch your steps on the muddy road because if you slip accidentally, you might incur a serious injury.
- Take your camera and your other belongings fastened tightly to yourself.
- Do not even try to roam around the area all by yourself.
- If you want to explore the surrounding areas or go for a trek, you must hire a professional guide from beforehand to be as safe as possible.
Things to Do
- Shout out loud and hear your voice echo through the region.
- Spend some time alone letting the tranquillity of this place overpower your senses so that you rediscover yourself.
- Gear up with all the energy that you have in order to explore the natural surroundings.
- Try out bathing or swimming in the cool water of the pool below the gushing waters if you feel like.
Availability of Guides
You will not come across a professional guide there without prior consultation and booking with a reputed travel agency. However, the local people are very good and would gladly help you out with the way.
Best Time to Visit
The Atukkad Falls can be visited any time of the year. However, the waterfalls are at their best in the monsoon season and the tourists should visit the waterfall during this time to come across an eye-dazzling beauty.
How to Reach
The Atukkad Falls is located at a distance of 9 km from Munnar. Thus, you can hire a car or enjoy a pleasurable trek amidst the bountiful nature and reach the destination.
Interesting Facts About The Atukkad Falls
- The Atukkad Falls fall from a great height atop the Western Ghats.
- The pool formed at the base of the waterfall is fit for taking a quick swim.
- The cascading waterfall makes the air around misty which is a wonderful sight.
- The water is very cool and speedy.
- Eravikulam National Park
- Mattupetty Dam
- Blossom Hydel Park
- Munnar Tea Museum
- S. I. Christ Church
- Fun Forest
- Kolukkumalai Tea Estate
- Kundala Dam Lake
- Rapsy Restaurant
- Saravana Bhavan
- Al Buhari
- N. Restaurant
- Sri Niwas Restaurant
- Copper Castle Restaurant
- Sri Mahaveer Bhojanalaya Restaurant
- KTDC Tea County Restaurant
- Hotel Hill View Munnar Restaurant
The Atukkad Falls is a marvel in its own beautiful and dazzling way. When the glowing sunlight peeps through the dense, green forest and touch the soaring water droplets of the misty waterfall, the place is lit with a golden hue reflecting from the majestic glass-like wall of the waterfall. The colourful flowers all along the way forming a carpet against the forest soil and the various shapes of leaves accompanying them leave every spectator filled with a deep sense of satisfaction and humility. Thus, this place is a must visit for all.