- Famous for: Sightseeing, Trekking, Picnic spot, Photography
- Entrance Fee: Charges to be paid for entry to Eravikulam National Park. Entry to the peak is free.
- Visiting Time: Round the clock
- Visit Duration: 2 to 3 hours
Anamudi Peak is situated In the Western Ghat ranges in the Idduki district of the south Indian State of Kerala. This peak is the highest peak in southern India and scales up to the height of 8,842 ft. The mountain seems to touch the clouds and this makes the view almost heavenly. A delight to trekkers, photographers, and nature lovers, this peak offer something to everyone.
- Munnar is one of the most widely travelled places in south India, so expect some crowds around the area.
- The weather at Anamudi Peak is usually very pleasant because of its altitude, but don’t forget to take along some sunscreen.
- It is recommended that you book entry ticks to the park 2-3 days before your visit to avoid waiting in the queue for hours.
- According to government restrictions, it is not allowed for trekkers to climb all the way up the peak so do take that into account before you start on your trek.
Things to Do
- Trekking and hiking are the most adventurous things you can do on Anamudi for an unforgettable experience. So, awaken the adventure lover in you and go trekking on the mountain.
- The scenic beauty around Anamudi can captivate anyone’s attention. Click some photographs and keep the memories alive.
- Have a picnic at the foot of the hill with your friends and family.
- Watch the beautiful flora and fauna in the evergreen forests covering the mountain.
- Have a day trip in the lap of nature in the Eravikulam National Park.
Availability of Guides
A trip with a travel agency to Munnar will include guides to the Anamudi Peak.
Best Time to Visit
The months of November to February are the best time to visit Munnar and the Anamudi Peak as the temperature ranges from 18 to 25 degrees Celsius.
How to Reach
Anamudi Peak can be walked to from the Eravikulam National Park premises. You can get a taxi or bus from Munnar to reach the National Park.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Anamudi
- The name ‘Anamudi’ literally means “elephant’s forehead” which refers to the shape of the mountain that looks like the broad forehead of an elephant.
- This peak is the highest peak in Western Ghats and all of South India.
- The first person known to climb the peak was General Douglas Hamilton in 1862, but it widely accepted that many locals must have climbed the mountain before but their travels have not been recorded.
- Rajamalai (Eravikulam) National Park
- Tea Gardens
- Lakkam Waterfalls
- Punarjani Traditional Village
- Photo Point
- Mattupetty Dam
- Kundala Dam Lake
- Kannan Devan Tea Museum
- Rose Gardens
- Attukal Waterfalls
- Pothamedu Viewpoint
- Lock Heart Gap
- Thoovanam Waterfall
- Blossom Hydel Park
- Camelgiri Restaurant
- Saravana Bhavan
- Raspy Restaurant
- Hotel S. N.
- Hornbill Restaurant
Anamudi Peak is one of the best places to visit on your trip to Munnar. The place is a paradise for photographers and nature lovers and will surely make you rejoice the time you spend here with your friends, family, or significant other. This location is not to be missed if you are traveling to Kerala!