- Famous For: Nature, Photography, Adventure, Architecture.
- Entry Fee: No fee is required barring adventure sports, transport and food.
- Visiting Time: 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
- Visiting Duration: 2 to 3 hours minimum.
Imagine stepping on an island to enjoy the serene and scenic beauty of the natural paradise. Then imagine being told the very next moment that the island that you have set foot upon is not nature’s creation at all. In fact, the island is artificial! Now, would you not get the shock of your life?
Well, oblivious to most of the Indians who have not explored or read much about Kochi, in the heart of the land grew up an island showcasing the prowess and the intellectual level of mankind. With the advancement of technology and the increase in demands owing to the growing population, this man-made island in Kochi had to be built up to serve the residents of Kochi and to give them a better lifestyle. Thus, this largest yet not that common artificial island in India definitely requires a visit from all.
- Do not forget to wear a hat or a cap to fight the burning rays of the sun.
- Try to avoid drinking chilled water despite the urge as you might catch a cold because of this.
Things to Do There
- Visit the growing technological complexes there.
- Try to take a casual walk down the bridge that links this man-made island to the mainland.
- Try out the delicious seafood delicacies at the popular restaurants.
Availability of Guides
Professional guides are rarely available at that destination. The local people, themselves, will help you out with anything that you require. However, you can always consult a travel agency in advance so that you get a guide who would hang out with you and spice up your trip with interesting tales and tips.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Willingdon Island in Kochi is from October to April every year as it is the most beautiful time during the year owing to the fantastic natural ambiance.
How to Reach the Place
The Willingdon is located at a distance of 3 km from Ernakulam Railway Station in Kochi. This beach can be reached by either a public or a private transport. There is a bridge linking the island to the mainland which has to be crossed to and fro for entering and exiting the island.
Interesting Facts About the Willingdon Island
- The Willingdon Island was constructed at full swing in 1936.
- The island was mainly built around the Lake of Kochi.
- The Willingdon Island is the largest artificial island in India constructed by mankind till date.
- There is a bridge that connects the Willingdon Island to the mainland of Kochi.
- At present, it serves as an office hub, residential hub and every other possible amenity.
- Mattancherry Palace
- Paradesi Synagogue
- Francis Church, Kochi
- Hill Palace, Tripunithura
- Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica, Kochi
- Ernakulam Shiva Temple
- Indo-Portuguese Museum
- Thrikkakara Temple
- Sree Poornathrayeesa Temple
- Thamaramkulangara Sree Dharma Sastha Temple
- Cherai Beach
- Sky Grill
- Mary’s Kitchen
- Qissa Café
- Oceanos Restaurant
- Old Harbour Hotel Restaurant
- The Asian Kitchen by Tokyo Bay
As John Keats had rightly said, “A thing of beauty is a joy forever”, the Willingdon Island is a remarkable proof of these infamous line. Wrapped in a beauty and splendour that can only be perceived by the visitors who have been lucky enough to set foot upon this brilliant construction, the Willingdon Island is gradually gaining popularity among the tourists and, hence, to pay respect to the sturdy constructors and designers of this exotic project, the Willingdon Island is a must visit for all.