- Famous for: History, Antiquity
- Entrance Fee: 10 per adult and Rs.5 per child
- Visiting Time: 9 AM to 12:30 PM and from 2 PM to 4:30 PM (Every day except Monday)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
The Hill Palace is a huge treasure house of antiquity which is present at Tripunithura in the state of Kerala. An erstwhile residence of the Maharaja of Kochi, this palace was constructed in 1865 and later renovated into a museum by the Archaeology Department of the state. Consisting of many amenities which include a deer park, a cultural museum and a well-maintained park, this spot attracts a lot of locals and tourists who visit the area. The garden on the grounds is also the home to a large number of plants which include rare plants with medicinal properties. In total, this location reflects the aura of the alluring region by providing a very clear insight into its cultural and historical background. Exhibiting a plethora of artifacts like paintings, weapons, jewelry, sculptures, coins and furniture, the museum reflects the exuberance of the royalty which resided in the Palace and ruled over the region.
- Wear comfortable footwear to roam around the huge grounds.
- Carry caps, hats and water bottles to endure the scorching sun.
- The main building does not allow visitors to enter with shoes.
Things to Do
- Walk around the sprawling campus which is well maintained and filled with plants and trees of many kinds.
- Visit the deer park which houses up to fifty deer and feed the animals which interact quite well with the visitors.
- Look into the great collection of antique jewelry, precious stones and furniture which is on exhibit for visitors.
- The perfect backdrop provides a great location where photography can be carried out to your heart’s content.
- Enjoy the beautiful artistic paintings on display which depict the lifestyle of the royalty and the public during the olden days.
- Shop around at the local markets to collect artifacts and buy some local products.
- There are many eateries around the area which offer a wide range of cuisines to taste.
Best Time to Visit
The summers can be very hot as the place has a tropical climate with the sun beating down while the rainy season experiences a good rainfall with the whole area looking green and cloudy all day long. The winter months of October to March are the perfect time to visit as the soothing climate makes sight-seeing a wonderful and pleasant experience.
How to Reach
Kochi is a central city with great travel amenities. The nearest bus stops to reach the museum would be the Hill Palace and the Kaligachira Bus Stand. The closest railway station is present at Ernakulum which is at a distance of about 10 kilometers away while the nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport which is located at about 35 kilometers away. The cabs, public buses and auto rickshaws can be used to reach the museum from these stations.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Hill Palace
- The huge ground sprawls an area of about 65 acres.
- The Kerala style of architecture is prevalent in all the 50 buildings which make up the Palace complex.
- The Museum opened to visitors after renovation work in 1986 after it was acquired by the Archaeology Department from the royalty in 1980.
- Exhibits from countries like China and Japan reflecting their art and pottery are also on display.
- The park for children on the same grounds is open till about 6 PM.
- The scenic location is also utilized by many film makers for movie shooting purposes, with Manichitrathazhu being the most famous movie that was shot at this location.
- The National Mission for Manuscripts has got a Center for Heritage Studies set up in the complex for research on manuscripts and their content.
- Ming’s Work
- Kitchen Tellicherry
- Pai Dosa
- Kerala Folklore Museum
- Kerala Folklore Theatre and Museum
- Marine Drive
- Sea India Foundation
The majestic buildings and the sculptured grounds provide a very relaxing ambience in addition to containing the entire history of the region within the complex. A must visit for history buffs as well as people wanting to know about the royalty which ruled the region, this place is the most perfect spot to spend some quality time in.