- Famous For: Photography, Nature, Serenity
- Entrance Fee: There is no entry fee
- Visiting Time: 7 AM to 7 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 to 2 hours
This stunning Kund or water source is present on the Manali-Keylong road in the beautiful state of Himachal Pradesh. It is named after the first Prime Minister of India, Dr. Jawaharlal Nehru, as he used to drink water from this spring whenever he stayed in Manali. The water in it is so clear and is famed for its great taste. The water from the lake seems to come from the Lake Bhrigu which is situated high up in the mountains which surround the picturesque area. Manali is a place famous for its stunning atmosphere and relaxing environment. The Nehru Kund also complements the surroundings with its well preserved pristine sublimity and is famous all over the country amongst all the tourists as a location to enjoy some quiet and serene time with family and friends.
- Wear comfortable footwear so as to manage the rocky area around the spring.
- Do not visit during rainy seasons as there are chances of landslides.
- Be careful near the spring area and navigate around the rocky terrain with care to avoid falling on them and wounding yourselves.
Things to Do
- The scenic location is perfect as a photography spot and can be well exploited to photograph some of the best shots due to the natural lighting and ambience.
- Drinking the clear water which tastes different and cleaner than any water source is definitely to be carried out here.
- Trek around the area as it is an incredible place with its perfect climate to navigate.
- During the winter, ample snow is found around the area, making it perfect to have fun with snow.
- There are also adventure sports like water rafting and kayaking which can be carried out nearby.
- The pine trees which surround the water source make the location even more appealing, and provide the right ambience to relax and unwind.
Availability of Guides
This is an open area which does not require any guiding and hence, there are no guides available here.
Best Time to Visit
Manali is a place which can be visited all throughout the year except during the monsoon months from July to September. This is because during that time the rains can cause landslides which are dangerous for travelers and can trap them in certain areas. The summers are mild with the perfect holidaying spirit and the winters with its snow are a stunning time to visit the area.
How to Reach
Situated at about 5 to 6 kilometers away from Manali, on the Manali-Keylong road, this place is best reached by private transport. At some height above the Nehru Kund, there are jeeps and cabs available to take you to your destination.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Nehru Kund
- The water of this spring was liked by Nehru to such an extent that he always made sure that whenever he visited the place, he stopped by it to drink its clear water.
- The water which fills the lake comes from the Bhrigu Lake which is situated at an altitude of almost 4100 feet above the sea level, quite high up in the mountains.
- Due to its serene ambience, this spot is thronged by visitors looking to lay back and relax.
- Most people stop here on the way to and from Manali to get the feel of the place.
- Nehru Kund is like the lowest point of the mountainous area from where the location starts elevating after it as we move towards Manali.
- Solang Valley
- Hidimba Temple
- Jogini Falls
- Johnsons Café
- Toasted and Roasted
- The Lazy Dog
- Il Forno
The phenomenal scenic location where the Nehru Kund is located, makes it quite popular amongst tourists and nature lovers who want to get closer to nature and spend some time in serenity. The gushing of water near those pine trees over the mountainous terrain completes the picture of beauty and mesmerizes anyone who visits the spot. The water with its unique taste is definitely a reason to visit the place and is its prime attraction.