- Famous for: History, Photography, Serenity
- Entrance fee: None
- Visiting time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 2-3 hours
The Balsamand Lake, situated in Jodhpur, is a mesmerizing spot built way back in the 13th century by the royalty of Rajasthan. Basically, built to fulfil the water necessities in and around the area, this location has boomed to become a stunning tourist spot with its heavenly aura. With a length of over a kilometer and depth of about 15 meters, this has become a right place for people to stroll around while enjoying the creations of nature. The Balsamand Lake Palace which was constructed by Maharaj Sur Singh to overlook the lake, is an architectural marvel which adds to the timelessness of the space along with its stupendous garden and fauna surrounding it. The lavish setting is indeed a place to be visited by everyone for the calmness and serenity which can engulf all sorrows and expand one’s horizon over the magnificence of Mother Earth.
- Guests of the Balsamand Lake Palace have free access to the lake as well as the gardens at any time.
- Visitors wanting to look into the lake alone can do so with proper permission as it has free entry, but the gardens may have some charges depending on the season.
- The best time to visit would be in the evening in order to escape the heat and spend some time in serenity.
Things to Do
- Revel in the beauty of the lake, and enjoy the chirping of the numerous birds which visit the garden.
- Engage in horse-riding if provided nearby.
- Stay at the Balsamand Lake Palace to experience the royal amenities and be treated like royalty.
- Eat at some of the best garden restaurants around to taste the best mouth-watering savories.
- Visit the 100 pillar Maha Mandir at a distance of 3 kilometers away.
- Shop at the multitude of bazaars offering local, ethnic handicraft.
Availability of Guides
The lake is a public place to just laze around. But staying at the Lake Palace, you will be provided with the best staff to help you out at all times.
Best Time to Visit
Jodhpur is a place where the summers can get really scorching and the winters are mild. The best months to visit would be from October to February. But the evenings are relatively cooler and is the best time to enjoy in the premises of the stunning location.
How to Reach
The NH 65 should be reached from the main Airport Road. After that, turning left on the NH 114 will lead you to this destination. Cabs are usually the common form of transport for comfort and ease. Local buses are also available to this famed tourist spot.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Balsamand Lake
- The reservoir was constructed to have dimensions pertaining to a length of 1 kilometer, breadth of 50 meters and a depth of 15 meters.
- The Balsamand Palace which overlooks the lake is built out of red sandstone with architecture following the Rajput style of design and craftsmanship to function as a summer rest house.
- The Palace is the right place where both antiquity and modernity blend to give the perfect lavish experience for all the tourists wanting to stay in it.
- The Maharaja Sur Singh, who built this artificial lake was awarded the title of Sawai Raja for his impeccable services.
- The Maharaja is the uncle of Emperor Shah Jahan.
- Kalinga Restaurant
- Kim Bakery
- Real Taste Restaurant
- Janta Sweet Home
- Shri Mishrilal Hotel and Restaurant
The majestic lake is the best panoramic site to be visited with family. The colorful flowers and the plethora of trees are more than enough to keep both adults and kids engaged in looking around. Many fauna including peacocks have also made the nearby gardens their home. Witnessing the sun spread its light over the serene water as it sets, is the best romantic scene to witness with your other half. Dining in the nearby restaurants overlooking this pretty picture is what completes the experience of having a great time away from the hustle of the city.