- Famous For: History, Tourism, Photography, Tibetan art and culture.
- Entrance Fee: No entrance fee is charged.
- Visiting Time: Tsuglag Khang is open on all seven days of the week. The timings are from 6 A.M. to 7 P.M.
- Visit Duration: Approximately 1 hour.
Tsuglag Khang is the official residence of the 14th Dalai Lama. The place is very holy and the calming atmosphere here will surely refresh your mind. The complex has much more than just the residence of Dalai Lama. There is a Tibetan museum, a temple and also the very famous Namgyal Gompa. Taking a tour around the complex will give you a fair idea of the concepts of Buddhism. This place is a very famous tourist spot. People from all across the country and the world come here to spend a lovely time. If you are planning to visit Mcleodganj in the near future, keep Tsuglag Khang on the very top of your checklist.
- To keep an account of your visit and the great time, carrying a camera is a must. The place is absolutely stunning. That way you can capture all the beautiful moments spent with your family or friends.
- It is needless to say that you should be wearing comfortable clothes. Since the visiting time is around an hour, you do not want clothing to be of any hindrance at all.
- No lighters or cigarettes are allowed inside the complex. You will have to submit them at the entrance.
- It is also not allowed to take any snaps once you enter the temple. While you are outside, take good pictures and carry home the good memories.
Things to Do
- A very interesting ritual is to walk in a clockwise direction all around the Tsuglag Khang complex. There is nothing more giving than the visit all around the structure and quietly enjoy the picturesque view of the complex and its surroundings. This is referred to as a Kora.
- There are souvenir shops inside of the Tsuglag Khang complex. It sells flags and also bracelets which you can buy as a token of love from here.
- There is a book store which houses a large collection of books on Buddhism. These are personally selected by Dalai Lama. You can always pick a few up to get detailed information about the religion.
- Most people are unaware of the fact that you can book a seat to catch Dalai Lama while a lecture. This is an extraordinary experience and one in a lifetime chance.
- Sometimes the monks hold open discussions that you can listen to.
Availability of Guides
No guides are available who can give you a detailed tour of the complex. Yet, the monks can help you with certain queries. You can always ask the locals for more information about this place.
Best Time to Visit
Mcleodganj has extreme climatic conditions during the monsoons and winter season. It is thus, advisable to avoid these months of the year. For a pleasant time at Mcleodganj, the months of March to July are the best.
How to Reach
Reaching the complex is not a very difficult task. The place is in the southern west area of the city of Mcleodganj. It is quite a journey from the main city. You can book a cab or even hire a personal car. The hotel authorities can help you fix the travel.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Tsuglag Khang
- The complex has the Tibetan museum which shows the struggle of Tibetan people who had fled during the Chinese invasion. Pictures and videos depict the scenes and you can take a look through all of them
- If you want to make the most of your trip to Mcleodganj, walking to the complex is the best option. There are a number of shops on the way and you can always spot monks walking up and down from one place to the other.
- A cafeteria inside the complex of Tsuglag Khang which serves refreshments and vegetarian food.
- The complex is beautiful and can refresh your mind and relax your soul.
- Namgyal Monastery
- Bhagsunath Temple
- Kangra Art Museum
- Norbulingka Institute
- Tibetan Museum
- Kalachakra Temple
- Peace café
- Lhasa restaurant
- Common Ground café
- Taste of India
- Himalayan Tea shop
- Malabar restaurant
- Tibet kitchen