Mcleodganj is a short distance from Dharamshala. This town is the residence of Dalai Lama. The town has a strong influence of the Tibetan culture. A significant part of the population is monks and nuns. Tourists coming here not only visit the many places of interest but also sit down to understand the philosophy of Buddhism.
How to Reach
- By Air: The nearest airport is in Dharamshala, that is the Gaggal Airport. There are many daily flights from Delhi and Kullu.
- By Road: It is ten kilometres away from Dharamshala. The town is a nine-hour drive from Delhi. The hill station has many buses departing to nearby places daily.
- By Rail: The nearest station is the Pathankot Railway Station in Pathankot district. The station is roughly three hours from Mcleodganj. The station connects the area to all the important cities.
Best Time to Visit Mcleodganj
The best time to visit the hill station is during summers when the weather is quite pleasant. The area receives heavy rainfall making the surroundings even lusher. Though landslides are common during the rainy season.
It is advised to make a note of the many festivals that are organised in the area. The most important ones are the Halsa that marks the beginning of the Tibetan calendar and Buddha Purnima.
|April to July||Climate is pleasant and cool. It’s a great time for trekkers. You may also go to Triund.||Popular Tourist Season|
|October to February||Perfect time for snow lovers. Plan you trip from December end to January.||Ideal Time
|July to September||Mcleodganj doesn’t receive high rainfall, but still it’s not considered as a very good time to visit.||Off Season
Places to Visit in Mcleodganj
- Trekking is an important activity in the region. Many trekking enthusiasts come to the region to visit the numerous trekking trails. One of the most beautiful trekking track is Triund. It is an easy trek to the top. The viewing point gives you a glimpse of the snow laden Kangra valley. Many people camp here at night to enjoy the serene environment.
- Tsuglagkhang complex is an important Buddhist pilgrim place. Dalai Lama resides in the Tsuglagkhang itself. The Namgyal Monastery is inside the Tsuglagkhang complex. The complex attracts devotees all year round. The complex overlooks the magnanimous Dhauladhar range.
- Central Tibetan Secretarial Complex in the town, houses many buildings and museums. The museums aim at preserving the Tibetan heritage and culture. Library of Tibetan Works & Archives, in the complex, has more than 12000 manuscripts.
- St John in the Wilderness is a quaint church on the road to Dharamshala. The church has the tomb of the second viceroy of India. It now functions as a cemetery.
- Mother nature has blessed the area with bountiful sites. There are many lakes and waterfalls in the area, that are truly mesmerising.
The hill station, with its mountains and monasteries, is the quiet getaway one needs. The area is adorned by the scenic lakes and mountain ranges. You could visit the town at any point of time and there would be preparations going on for some festival.