- Famous for: Scenery, Photography, Serenity
- Entrance Fee: No fee as it is a public place.
- Visiting Time: 7 AM to 9 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The majestic Bhagsu Waterfalls, situated near the Bhagsu village, is one of the main attractions near Mcleodganj in the quaint state of Himachal Pradesh. Bhagsunag is a village situated about 7000 feet above the sea level, which makes it a perfect location to enjoy the beauty of a high-altitude spot. The prime importance of the place is due to the majestic Bhagsunag temple devoted to Lord Shiva, which adds beauty and mystic to the spot by making it extremely popular amongst worshippers. The stunning waterfalls, present at a walkable distance from the temple, is one of extreme grandeur. The view from the top of the sensational Kangra valley which surrounds the waterfalls is not one to be missed by any kind of nature lover or adventure fanatic.
- Wear comfortable footwear as there will be a lot of walking involved around the area to reach both the temple and the waterfalls.
- The rocky area is quite slippery and has to be treaded carefully to avoid any injuries.
- The atmosphere is quite chilly and hence do take some cozy clothing to remain warm.
Things to Do
- Trekking around in this peaceful and serene climate through the rocky area is a very blissful experience.
- Visiting the highly-famed temple which has been constructed for Lord Shiva guarantees a mesmerizing experience.
- Take some amazing shots as it is the perfect photography haven with its mind-blowing backdrop and lush greenery.
- Enjoy and immerse yourself in the amazing soul-stirring view from the top.
- The cold, freezing waters of the waterfall and the surrounding area makes the walk and climb totally worthwhile.
- Sip some hot drink while enjoying the mesmerizing view of the 30-foot waterfall as it gushes away, at the nearby café.
- The market is just at a distance of about 2 kilometers away and is the perfect place to shop around for ethnic handicraft.
- Enjoy the local and authentic food of Mcleodganj in the plethora of eateries around the area.
Availability of Guides
The area doesn’t have any guides as it is a public spot for recreation and doesn’t need any explaining around.
Best Time to Visit
The summers are the best time to visit this high-altitude region. The months from June to September are quite apt due to the pleasant and mild climate. The rainy months of July and August are best to be avoided due to the heavy rainfall which can result around in the region while the winter months are extremely cold due to its geographical location. Paying a visit to the temple and the waterfalls in the morning is perfect for a good trip.
How to Reach
The falls are situated at just about a kilometer from the temple and can we walked to easily. Also, it’s location at about 2 kilometers from the main market area of the Bhagsunag village, makes the waterfall easily accessible either by walk or can also be reached by a cab or an auto rickshaw.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Bhagsu Waterfalls
- The path from the temple to the waterfall is quite less and has like some 300 steps to be covered along the way.
- There are a lot of eateries on the way, along with many shops selling beautiful handicraft items.
- The cafes and eateries have some unique settings with rocks piled up on each other to offer an eye-catching seating arrangement.
- The Temple is famous for an arrangement where people can take a dip in the chilly water.
- Lung Ta
- Tibet Kitchen
- Namgyal Café
- Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen
- Bhagsunath Temple
- Dal Lake
- Naam Art Gallery
The pristine environment of the natural surroundings is what makes the spot a hit amongst visitors from all over the country. The water falling from a great height and the associated greenery which spreads as far as the eye can see, makes an incredibly spectacular sight which has to be witnessed by every nature lover at least once. Trekking through those beautiful spots and organizing photoshoots are other fun things to carry out here.