- Famous for: Peaks, trekking, road trip, photography
- Entrance Fee: Permit Fee- Rs.500 (Congestion charges are additional)
- Visiting Time: April- October (tend to change depending on climate conditions)
- Visit Duration: Can spend as much as time as you want.
For all those adventure enthusiasts, out there, I don’t think I need to introduce you to the famed Rohtang Pass. Well, actually it is quite infamous. This mountain pass is a delight to adventure aficionados and you will know why when you learn that the name translates as “pile of corpses”! Even though the pass will be open only after considering whether the path is safe, it is still a danger but that is what makes it so challenging and exciting!
- Make sure you are well prepared. If you are trekking then you should pack your hiking boots, and tools.
- Wear comfortable clothes, keep warm. Mufflers and gloves are a must!
- Be sure you have someone experienced with you, to take you through the Pass, whether you are trekking or driving.
- Make sure you have your ID proofs with you.
Things to Do
- Trek along the narrow snow covered pathways along one of the dangerous Himalayan Passes.
- Drive along this challenging trail and conquer your fears.
- Visit the pristine villages en route to the Pass.
- Undertake adventure activities in the Rohtang Valley.
Availability of Guides
It is advisable to take someone experienced with you, and this can be availed from the Tour Offices that operate in the Valley.
Best Time to Visit
The Rohtang Pass is not accessible throughout the year and is open only from April to October. This tends to change according to the climatic conditions. Any time between this, is pretty good.
How to Reach
Just 51 kms away from the Manali Valley, the Rohtang Pass is frequented by local transportation. You can avail buses or cabs to drive through the Pass.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Rohtang Pass
- You need a Tour Permit to visit the Pass.
- This can be availed at the official website of Rohtang Tourism: http://admis.hp.nic.in/ngtkullu/Home/InformatoryScreen/
- This is quite sad, but locals believe that the Pass is haunted by the souls of those who had died in its path.
- An ancient trade route and a trail frequented by the Indian Army
- Various projects are being undertaken to keep the Pass safe from pollution and hazards.
- Born Free Café
- The Corner House
- Café 1947
- The Lazy Dog
A delight to the senses the, Rohtang La with its unexpected and mean terrain offers an adrenaline rush unparalleled to any other trekking expeditions in Himanchal Pradesh. You cannot complete your trip to the Kullu- Manali region if you don’t pay a visit to the Rohtang Pass.