- Famous For: History, Information, Antiquity
- Entrance Fee:20 per person
- Visiting Time: 10 AM to 5 PM (Daily except on Mondays and Wednesday forenoons)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
The Napier Museum is located within the Museum compound in Trivandrum, which is the capital of the state of Kerala. The prime attraction of this structure, which houses a good collection of antique artifacts, is its geometric built itself. Designed by the then architect of the Government of Madras, this magnificent structure has gotten itself a niche amongst building designs for its Indo-Sarcenic architectural background. Housing a great number of artifacts like idols, carvings, chariots, armor, weapons and coins, this place shows us the complete history of the region with respect to the different rulers who ruled it and the changes undergone during certain periods of history. Situated right in the middle of the city, this spot contains a treasure trove of information on the part of the region and is the perfect place for history buffs to indulge in.
- The Museum ground contains a zoological park and also another museum. So, do plan the schedule so as to cover all the areas.
- Drink water to prevent dehydration from the humidity of the region.
- Wear comfortable footwear to keep up with the area to be covered by walk.
Things to Do
- Take a look at the great design of the structure which has got various architectural styles imbibed into it.
- The stone sculptures and the wooden carvings showcase great workmanship and have to be looked into.
- Look into the various idols and accessories used by the people and royalty during the olden periods of time.
- Relax in the calming grounds which are well kept and are perfect to sit down and unwind.
- Enjoy the various types of paintings which are on display for visitors in the Sri Chitra Art Gallery within the museum.
- Eat at the restaurants nearby to get the taste of the local cuisines.
- Visit the nearby Zoological Park and also the National Heritage Museum which are present within the museum grounds.
Availability of Guides
Guides who explain the whole history of the structure and the collection of items that it exhibits are present and are available for a certain fee.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the museum would be the day time during the winters and the evenings during the summer seasons. Trivandrum is a location which has basically got a really hot summer while the winters are mild and pleasant. The monsoons can further see really heavy rains. But this indoor museum can be visited anytime as per convenience.
How to Reach
Trivandrum being the capital of Kerala, has got its own International Airport at a distance of about 5 kilometers away and the railway station at around 3 kilometers away from the Museum. Further, local buses, cabs and auto rickshaws can be used to reach the Museum grounds where the Napier Museum is located. As it is located right in the heart of the city, it is very easily reachable.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Napier Museum
- It was designed by the great architect, Robert Chisholm and established in 1855.
- The museum was rebuilt in 1874 and then named after the then previous Governor of Madras, Lord Napier.
- The breathtaking works of Raja Ravi Varma can be found in the art gallery.
- The unique design of the building also seems to have a natural cooling system built into it.
- The Sri Chitra Art Gallery hosts paintings of wide styles and from different countries as well as cultures.
- The Zoological Gardens which is present in the grounds was opened at 1857, and is one of the oldest in the country.
- The exhibits in the museum can easily be more than 500 in number and encompass a wide variety of artifacts on display.
- Ananda Bhavan
- Ariya Nivas
- Indian Coffee House
- Pizza Corner
- Zoological Gardens and Museum
- Sri Chitra Art Gallery
- Puthe Maliga Palace Museum
- Shri Padmanabhasvamy Temple
This alluring location which spreads an aura of curiosity and contains a wealth of information is a must visit for anyone wanting to know about the culture and heritage of the region. The wide variety of items on display will increase ones’ knowledge as well as deepen ones’ interest in the history of our country.