- Famous For: Photography, Serenity, Sea
- Entry Fee: Entry fee not required
- Visiting Time: 5 am to 10 pm regularly
- Visiting Duration: Up to 2.5 to 3 hours
Kerala, ‘God’s Own Country’, is rich in a wide variety of geographical terrain that gives this state the beauty that it proudly displays. One such form of beauty is the stretches of coastal beaches that highlight the boundaries of the state with that of the Arabian Sea. One such exotic beach that deserves mention is the Kovalam Beach. The Kovalam Beach is, in fact, the most famous beach in Kerala. It is to visit this magnificent beach that the tourists visit Kerala from all over the world. The sun shining upon the blue waters and making the surface of the sea shimmer like sapphire is a gorgeous sight that dazzles the eyes of every onlooker. The golden, sandy beach sandwiched between the blue waters and the green palm trees dotting the periphery of the coastal area is the perfect place for unwinding from a stressful day. It is the preservation of the natural beauty of this place that the tourists from all over the world visit this beach multiple times whenever they get the opportunity.
- Carry summer friendly accessories like hats, sunglasses and others if you do not want to get a suntan.
- Be dressed in comfortable clothes because you are visiting a beach after all.
- Do not apply makeup on your face because very soon the heat of the sun would make you look ugly with a heavy layer of makeup.
- Take your camera with you so that you can click photographs to take back home as a memoir and to show them to your family and friends.
Things to Do There
- Run around the splashing waves against the shoreline.
- If you want to feel an adrenaline rush through your body, go for some adventure sports in this popular beach.
Availability of Guides
Guides are available from dawn to dusk so that you have a safe trip.
Best Time to Visit
For an enjoyable experience, you can visit the Kovalam Beach in between December and March.
How to Reach
This scenic beach is at a distance of 13 km from the Trivandrum or Thiruvananthapuram. An auto or cab could be taken from anywhere in the city to reach here.
Interesting Facts About the Kovalam Beach
- The beach is a perfect destination for a picnic or an outing because of the privacy that it offers.
- The biggest advantage of this beach is its isolation which has preserved its natural beauty.
- The beach has tall coconut trees and palm trees which give a soothing effect to the weary travelers by providing shade.
- There are many stalls lining this beach that provides delicious food and ample entertainment to the visitors.
- Lighthoue Beach
- Kovalam Beach
- Samudra Beach
- Neyyar Dam
- Sellayani Lake
- Soji Yoga – Day Classes
- Karamana River
- Kovalam Surf Club
- Ayurveda Panchakarma Centre
- 3rd Rock
- Sanjeevani restaurant
- Curry Leaf
- A Beach Café
- Oyster Restaurant
- Malabar Café
- Lonely Planet
- The Terrace
- Molly’s Retreat Restaurant
Due to its advantageous geographic location, Kovalam beach has evolved as the most popular beach in Kerala. Be it the breathtaking sunrise or the divine sunset setting the sky on fire or the cool, blue waters meeting the clear sky far away at the distant horizon, the Kovalam Beach has an enchantment that can never be put into words correctly but can only be felt. Hence, to experience this blissful ambience, it is recommended that every tourist visit the Kovalam Beach at least once in his or her lifetime in order to pay the respect that this mirth of heaven truly deserves.