- Famous for: Beauty, Sunsets, Photography
- Entrance Fee: No fee as it is a public place.
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 3 hours to 4 hours
The phenomenal and tranquil location of the Kumarakom beach is located at the Kottayam district in the breathtaking state of Kerala. The alluring beauty of the coastline with its pristine sand and smooth waters is what attracts visitors from all over the country to this spot. Also, a spot for adventure lovers to try out the various adrenaline raising sports, plenty of activities like parasailing, volleyball, water polo and water skiing are conducted in here. The perfect blend of tranquility and fun is what makes this place a must visit for people dropping into the region. It is present just at a walkable distance from the main city. With many resorts and restaurants lining the outer perimeter of the beach, this place is filled with a plethora of options to carry out and totally get into the spirit of the holiday mood.
- Carry hats, sunscreens and caps to manage the heat of the sun.
- Have a pair of extra clothing if planning to get wet.
- Keep yourself well hydrated to manage the humid climate of the locality.
- There are trained professionals to guide you through the various activities.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the perfect sunrise and sunset which spread their orange hue all over the sky.
- Swim and splash around to your heart’s content in the mesmerizing and refreshing waters.
- Engage in the multitude of water sports like water polo, water skiing and wind surfing.
- Also get dirty and have fun playing beach volleyball and Frisbee on the sands of the beach.
- Treat yourself to an ayurvedic massage at one of the many resorts which are situated around the beach.
- Click some great shots with the breathtaking backdrop which is present at the spot.
- Try out some authentic dishes at the many restaurants which are open to cater to the tastes of the visitors.
- Book one of the houseboat cruises and enjoy an experience of a lifetime.
- Shop around at the local markets and malls to gather some souvenirs in memory of the trip.
Availability of Guides
Since this is a public spot where people come to unwind and have fun in, there are no guides available for this location.
Best Time to Visit
Kumarakom is a location which experiences a tropical climate and hence, can be visited at any time of the year. The best time to visit the beach would be during the winter months of September to February when temperatures average around 20 degrees. The early mornings and the evenings which have a certain ambience to it, can fill people with a blissful feeling and is perfect to visit.
How to Reach
The beach is located along the SH 42 and is present at a walkable distance from the main city of Kumarakom. The location has a good transport network of buses, auto rickshaws and even cabs to reach the beach. The Kottayam Junction is about 15 kilometers away while the closest airport is in Cochin, which is almost 100 kilometers away, and is well connected to cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai. This makes reaching Kumarakom quite easy for tourists.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Kumarakom Beach
- Kumarakom is basically a group of islands present on Lake Vembanad.
- The locality of Kumarakom is part of the Kuttanad perimeter which is very famous for rice agriculture.
- The beach itself has preserved its serenity while at a little distance away, many commercial activities have been set up for the comfort of the visitors.
- Yoga and meditation related awareness programs are conducted in the resorts which adjoin the beach.
- There are plenty of homestays and resorts available to complete the experience of staying in the blissful spot of Kumarakom.
- Various houseboat cruises are conducted in the backwaters in addition to a lot of sport activities.
- The Juice Shack
- Thali Restaurant
- Cordon Bleu
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
- Aruvikkuzhi Falls
- Lake Vembanad
- Thirunakkara Mahadeva Temple
For the perfect holiday which is filled with adventure, relaxation and sightseeing, Kumarakom is the right place to visit. A trip to this location is incomplete without visiting Kumarakom beach which is the soul of the place. The spot with its allure, makes it a haunt of adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers.