- Famous for: History, Photography, Seeking experience
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee
- Visiting Time: 8AM- 6PM
- Visit Duration: 1-2 hours
Vijay Stambh, or the Victory Tower was erected in commemoration of the triumph of Rana Kambh, over Mehmud Khilji of Malwa. The tower serves as a glorious reminder of the gallantness of the Rajputs. Built in traditional Rajput style of architecture, the walls of the tower are beautifully adorned with images from Hindu mythology, including stories from Ramayana and Mahabharata. The tower took a remarkable ten years to be completed- it now stands as a brave projection of red stone and white marble, 36m high. The close to 150 stairs that are built within the tower serve as a narrow gateway to an aerial view of the marvelous Chittorgarh fort.
- The best time to visit the tower would be during the day, when you click some beautiful pictures and also avoid the heavy crowd of the afternoons.
- Since you would be spending close to 2 hours at the site, it is advisable to wear comfortable clothing and carry your own water bottles for the heat.
- There is availability of food at the premises, although you can try some delicacies at the nearby restaurants as well.
Things to Do
- There are a number of exciting places for shopping around the Vijay Stambh, such as Moti Bazaar and Juna Bazaar where you can buy traditional Rajasthani mementos from your trip.
- Be sure to view the panoramic view of the city by climbing the stairs of the tower, all the way to the top.
Best Time to Visit
The months of summer are characterized by scorching heat and a glaring sun in the state of Rajasthan. Therefore, the best time to visit Chittorgarh and be able to explore pleasurably the glorious Vijay Stambh is during the months of October to March. You could be able to experience a pleasant and cool climate on your visit.
How to Reach
The tower is located just near to the Chittorgarh Fort. Upon following the Meera temple, one can witness its splendor. To reach Chittorgarh itself, one can find easy connectivity by road and by railways. You can avail the Rajasthan bus service to connect to Chittorgarh from other faraway places.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Vijay Stambh
- The tower is nine storeyed high, and each storey opens into a balcony, with a new mythological story represented in art form.
- Vijay Stambh is a part of the Chittorgarh Fort and has a number of marvelous architectural treats surrounding its premises.
- The Gaumukh Kund is a reservoir that is fed water through the mouths of beautifully sculpted cows, a sight you must visit.
- The Samiddheshvara temple has a lovely deity of the trimurti, the three-headed incarnation of God, Vishnu, Shiva and Bhrama.
- Samriddheshvar Temple
- Bassi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Jatashankar Mandir
- Padan Pol
- Meera Temple
- Nakoda Bhairav Mandir
- Ganesha Temple
- Guru Bandh Restaurant
- Maheshwari Bhojanalaya
- Jai Chittor Kachori Centre
- Moon Light Restaurant
- Manuhar Dinning Hall
- Ritu Raj Vatika
The Victory tower or Vijay Stambh is a historic wealth in terms of displaying the Rajput’s conquest in the battlefield. The beautiful architecture speaks volumes about the artistic eye of the bygone era that turned even rustic stone into a valuable piece of artwork. The tower, along with its adjacent treats- temples, gates and the mighty fort itself- all are significant projections of the past into our present, ones that must be celebrated and revered. Revel in the mightiness of Rajasthan by visiting the Vijay Stambh on your next trip here.