- Famous For: Scenery, Serenity
- Entrance Fee: No fee for this public place
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
Yercaud is a stunning hill station present at an altitude of about 1530 meters above the sea level, in the Salem district of Tamil Nadu. Located in the Eastern Ghats, this range of mountains is aptly known as the Jewel of the South for its breathtaking and picturesque spots. One of the prime sites of tourist attraction is the Kiliyur Falls, which has got the water of the Shevaroy Hills and the Yercaud River overflowing into the Kiliyur Valley which is at a depth of 300 feet. Situated at about 2.5 kilometers from the Yercaud Lake, this majestic waterfall has to be reached by walking through cliffs and unpaved pathway. The right place for adventure junkies, this spot is set within lush plantations and refreshing mountain air which gives us a totally well-deserved break from the cities we reside in and the hectic routines that we pursue.
- The trek towards the falls is long and so the elderly and children are advised to not undertake the hike.
- Carry food and water along with you while starting towards the falls.
- Wear proper footwear to scale the rocky area.
- As the rocks near the water can be slippery, take care while walking along the trail.
Things to Do
- Visit the falls and enjoy activities like boating and swimming within the refreshing waters of the Lake which falls right off the ridge.
- For the adventure junkies, the long hike towards the falls is an engaging activity to carry out.
- The great panorama serves as the perfect backdrop to take some amazing clicks of the journey.
- Visit the various plantations of coffee and orange which the region is famous for.
- The Greenhouse and the National Orchidarium are places to look into for a better exposure to the multitude of plant species in and around the region.
- This place is also famous for wildlife sightings like that of snakes, deer, bison, peacocks etc.
- Eat out at the various eateries to get an authentic taste of the south Indian cuisines.
- Explore the local markets in the village to collect souvenirs from the trip.
Availability of Guides
This recreational spot does not need a guide, as the unpaved pathway towards the fall is obvious, and can be reached by oneself. But a local guide would definitely show you the best places to visit within the falls as well as the mountain range for a certain fee.
Best Time to Visit
The months right after the monsoon i.e. during July and August, are the perfect time to visit the falls and see it brimming with water as the major contributors to the water in the falls are the southwest and the northeast monsoons. Visiting during any other time would be a disappointment as the water would then lessen and there would be nothing to see at all, though the trek can be carried out at any time of the year.
How to Reach
The closest airport to is the Tirichirapalli Airport located at a distance of 160 kilometers from Yercaud. This region doesn’t have its own railway station, with the nearest one being the Salem junction at just 120 kilometers from where taxis can be taken to Yercaud. A lot of buses are available to Yercaud from places like Chennai, Salem, Namakkal, Vellore etc. as it is a major tourist attraction. Within the region, autos can be hired to travel all around the premises.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Kiliyur Falls
- The last bit of the trek can be covered by some twenty steps which help the visitor reach the falls.
- The 2.5 kilometers from the Yercaud lake can be driven through or trekked upon, but the last 500 meters can only be traversed by foot as there is no other means of transportation.
- The Beer’s cave which is located at some distance away is believed to be Lord Murugan’s natural abode.
- Malar Restaurant
- Salem Heights
- Rocsba Rest Multicuisine
- Orange Restaurant
- Big Lake
- Botanical Lake
- Shevaroy Hills
- Sacred Heart Church
- Green house
- Lady’s Seat
This ravishing location with its pristine sites and enthralling panorama is what makes the location of Yercaud a huge hit with visitors wanting to spend some time within the lap of Mother Nature.